PALS
Country
CA
State
Québec
City
Montreal
Hi all!

to my surprise, I've gained 5 pounds in two months, now I guess it's normal as I keep reading that we should not loose weight and spend my time eating as much as I can , and certainely do even more than necessary. But at the same time, I'm thinking hell, as long as I am able to swallow and enjoy food, I don't care. But I do notice my muscle atrophy progressing. So my father suggests that I go on a diet to loose weight so that my weak muscles have more chance to support my body... Should I follow this advice or will I end up loosing my weight anyway?

Good question. My husband has gained weight to...but his legs are getting skinny. He feels fat and does not like it. Im afraid to put him on a diet. any suggestions?

Filmmaker, is your father a neurologist? If not, I'd say he's well intentioned but misguided. Keeping weight ON is always recommended. Eat up, and lots of fats!
Sue

Thanks Sue! No my father is not a neurologist:) and I have a hard time explaining to him what doesn't seem logical to him..

Check out NEALS for a webinar on nutrition. Maybe the info on there would help your Dad to understand.

A safe guideline is to try to maintain your weight. You don't want to lose weight (unless you're 400 pounds), and you don't want to gain excessive weight either. 5 lbs is okay but don't gain 50.

If you consume an inadequate amount of protein, your body will steal muscle tissue. Make sure to keep protein in your diet.

Happy eating! It's one of the few joys of ALS! (Sorry to my bulbar friends.)

-Tom

Filmmaker,

Do what your doctors tell you to do. No one here has examined you, so any advice beyond "Ask your doctor" is not relevant to your situation.

I would love to put weight on my friend, at the minute I'm 6 foot 4 and weighing only just over 10 and a half stone meaning I’ve lost a stone since my diagnoses back in june last year, I would love to put on a couple of stone

thanks averyone for your advice! trfogey, my weight is not an issue for my docs to worry about it, i'm still in the normal range, and seriously I've asked them if there was a special diet that could be helpful, they said no, I think they meant they was no diet that could slow the disease...

thanks averyone for your advice! trfogey, my weight is not an issue for my docs to worry about it, i'm still in the normal range, and seriously I've asked them if there was a special diet that could be helpful, they said no, I think they meant they was no diet that could slow the disease...

Filmmaker,

Your weight will become an issue for your doctors if you start losing weight. I'm surprised that they haven't given you the don't lose weight lecture already if you are starting your course with ALS at a normal body weight.

And you are correct -- at this point, there are no special diets that will slow ALS progression, but losing weight on any of the hundreds of weight loss plans probably will increase progression.

Thanks agan, I'll keep eatng the same then:)

I have read that being at the low end of the BMI scale for obesity is where you want to maintain.

I find I always want to cinch that belt because I now have no waist and suck in that tummy, but long term, those with some extra pounds seem to do best.

I'm struggling to stay above 95 lbs. Will get a feeding tube if I dip to 90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back