Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Colorado Springs
I am considering getting my long g-tube replaced with a Mic-key button style. However, it looks like you have to twist the end of the extension tube that attaches to the button. My wife is concerned on how difficult it is to twist. Does it take much effort to rotate the tip around? How far does it rotate around? Are there any disadvantages to the button style versus the long tube style?

Rose has one. You might ask her Brian. When the time comes that's what I want to get.

Brian, PM rose.

Brian,

For me, having the low profile style has many advantages. It was like day and night as far as the problems with granulation tissue.
But, beyond the physical, it gave me a tremendous psychological boost. I find that it is easier to view myself as being "healthier" when I don't have a tube sticking out of me, and a part of my stomach contents on display. It is easier to forget its there when I'm not using it.

It is so unobtrusive that I recently wore a bikini on the beach and didn't feel weird about it.

Yes, mine has to twist a half turn to lock into place, but it can be used without locking it, and I usually don't turn it, on purpose anyway. There is a manufacturer of a similar style that is called the bard button. I am pretty sure this one does not need to twist to lock into place.

A friend of mine was in visiting over the holiday. Her 13 year old daughter remarked that my PEG looked like the air valve on a flotation device. Which prompted someone else in the room to say something about how I was a blow-up doll now, which so completely embarrassed her 17 year old brother. 8) A very funny moment for all—that would never have happened if I had the other style.

http://www.bardaccess.com/feed-button.php?section=Overview
This is a link for this style button. I don't see anything one way or the other about if it needs to turn, but I remember reading somewhere else, back when I got mine exchanged for the mini-button, that this type was just a basic push in type plug.

In my experience, when I went it to have the PEG tube exchanged, the doctor did not tell me which one he was going to use, it was a matter of which one fit me better once they had the first one removed.

The biggie, and your doctor will know this anyway, is you do want a balloon on the inside, as you will need to be able to have it exchanged in the future without needing to be put under anesthesia

Just to be rid of the problems I was having tolerating the tube as far as the granulation tissue battle would be reason enough, but from the perspective of having had it for a while now, I would say that the morale boost is just as valuable.

Thanks for the details Rose. If I remember right, yours is not an actual Kimberly Clark Mic-key brand, but similar? When you do twist your extension tube to lock it, does it take much force at all?

Brian,

You are welcome, and yes, you are correct, it is not a Kimberly Clark Mic-Key. I would have to research to see what brand mine is, (its probably written on the forum somewhere) The manufacturer calls it a "Mini Button".

No force is needed. Some dexterity, but that part gets easier once you understand what you need to do. There is a tiny bump on the tube end that is inserted into the port. That bump fits down a groove in the port, and then when either piece is twisted, it slides around in the horizontal groove inside the port and this groove keeps it from accidentally being pulled out. You can twist either section to do this, and for me, its easier to spin the port section that is attached to me, rather than to twist the tube itself. It does not take force, its more like a "spin" than a "twist" for me.

Most of the time, especially when I'm just adding water, I try not to turn it to lock it, so I can just pull it back out when done.

My only grievance with the setup is the tubing is hard. It looks nice, especially in the beginning when its not stained from vitamins, etc, because its clear. But, the clamping mechanism is somewhat difficult to clip because of the hardness of the tube. (THAT part takes force) The clip only needs to be used when removing the tube from the port though. The clamp is not kept clipped shut but for that little interval while unhooking from use. What I have taken to doing, is to let everything flow out of the syringe, pull the syringe off of the tubing, and then simply hold my finger over the tube top while I remove if from the port. Liken it to how if you cover the end of a drinking straw with your finger, whatever liquid is inside the straw stays there until both ends are uncovered. (Does that make sense?)

This PEG actually comes with two tubes. The short one, about 10"/25cm that I use most of the time, and a longer one—about twice that length that is designed for use with an iv pole if necessary. For someone who is self feeding, and does not have the finger strength to clip off the tube, it would work to use the longer tube, and just loop it when finished so it can be removed without using the clamp and without spilling whatever is left inside the tube onto the person.

I will add some close-up pics for you... the first photo is of the port in open position, second photo trying to show the little bump on tube end that fits into the groove.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• peg closeup.JPG
    peg closeup.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,062
  • pegtube closeup2.jpg
    pegtube closeup2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 567
  • peg tube closeup.jpg
    peg tube closeup.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,469
  • peg closed.JPG
    peg closed.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,367
Last edited:
Brian,
I have the Mic-Key by Kimberly Clark. I am so pleased with it and grateful I was able to get this one. Like Rose said psychologically it just makes you feel better about it. The Mic-Key has a flow valve that prevents it from leaking and the tube is soft and very easy to hook up. It doesn't take much to twist/turn it. Mine has shifted during a feeding and was no longer in the 3/4 turn where it should have been and it didnt stop the feeding and it didn't leak. The nurse that assisted in changing mine out said the Bard and the Mic-Key are both great and she didn't prefer one over the other.
I would ask your doctor to show you both kinds so you can get a feel for what will work for you. I don't think you would struggle with the Mic-Key. I hope this helps.
Linda

Last edited:
Thanks! That is super helpful!

Seems like minimal amount of extra steps. I'm not even using my long tube yet and I'm tired of it. Tape is itchy to me and the kind I have is held in place at the stoma with a permanent stitch. It frequently gets tugged on accidentally and that doesn't feel very nice!

Brian
I had the long tube for 5 months, then changed to the button. Button is so much easier to care for.

I agree..button is much better. I winter in Florida and wore a swim suit often. I no longer wear bikinis but agree I felt "normal". I reacted to tape so securing long tubing was a challenge.

Those pictures are helpful, Rose. But please post the bikini pics. :)

-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back