PALS
Country
CA
State
Québec
City
Montreal
Hi everyone.
My question may seem stupid but here it is: my muscles are all very weak now, I can hardly walk few steps, can't carry anything with my hands except a galss of water when needed. But I am still able to move every part of my body, is that normal? When am i supposed not to be able to move my hands or in my bed?

Filmaker, everybody is different, in my case it just goings silently and slowly, foot drop slowly lead to paralysis of left foot & lower leg. Like I said it is different for all, mucles lockig up also happens for short bits of time.

Right, there is no way to put a specific timeline on it. Just try to prepare for when it happens.

ok, good to know, but will it happen gradually too or should i expect to just wake up paralysed one day?

Filmmaker: it depends on the cause of your complaints if it will be gradually or overnight. And also: every person is unique, so hard to predict, live one day at a time and enjoy all you are still able to do. Don't worry too much about what might happen, that drives you nutts, live in the moment, not meant as a cliche btw! I hope you will never get full paralysis! You are lucky you can carry a glass of water! That means there is good muscle strenght there! Focus on what you still can do and feel really happy about it! Take care!

Assuming, of course, that you get diagnosed with MND, paralysis would take place gradually. It would start in the area where the symptoms started and spread out into the body from there. You might wake up with a finger that doesn't work properly, but unless you were already nearly totally paralyzed, you would not wake up totally paralyzed.

And, if you do not have an official diagnosis of ALS or another MND, you really should be asking these questions in the "Do I Have ALS?" part of the board.

As already stated by others, progression evolves differently in each person. I have read reports from pals where they can't speak but can still walk. Two and a half years ago I was still able to drive. Today I can't sit up and am completely bedridden. The only body part I can move is the left arm and the fingers of that hand. But I can still speak intelligibly. Many with als lose the ability to do something then plateau at that point for awhile. I got to where I could predict how long it would take to completely lose a function and prepare for it. My caregivers and I are already working on ways to communicate without me having to speak and things that I can swallow that don't taste like wallpaper paste for when those muscles give out; my OT is advising on ways I can type when my fingers finally go which I expect will be in about 4 to 6 months. So, from what I've read and experienced, als symptoms progress...sometimes slowly, some times rapidly...but not overnight. You should have time to do some research on alternative ways to do things and/or devices to assist you.

My father had ALS/MND for 17 years and his muscles became very, very weak, but he could still move everything. He never had complete paralysis and died of a heart attack.
My ALS has progressed slowly, so I am praying for no complete paralysis like him, but I am preparing for the future. Every pALS is different, but fast or slow progression it seems to be gradual as muscles lose their signals (i guess, I am no MD).

My advice, One day at a time, prepare for what future symptoms might be, and who knows..... those symptoms might not even affect you. BUT being prepared helps me to face each day with more confidence (knowing that if I need assistance it will be there)

Film,
Mine started in my right foot and as it went up so did the paralysis. Then it went to left arm and then left leg. I had lost the trunk muscles somewhere in between. The last limb was the right arm and I only had control of 2 fingers. After having a major trauma, when I was brought back, I no longer had use of the limb. I have been this way since November and other than depending on others for my care, its not as bad as I thought. I'm still here to see my children come home from school and I. Am more than thankful for that.

Whatever you do, please don't dwell on the what if's. I know first hand and you really don't want to go to the dark side of this disease. It is so very hard to get out. Enjoy every day; rain or sun, its a wonderful gift from GOD.

Toto

Film,
Mine started in my right foot and as it went up so did the paralysis. Then it went to left arm and then left leg. I had lost the trunk muscles somewhere in between. The last limb was the right arm and I only had control of 2 fingers. After having a major trauma, when I was brought back, I no longer had use of the limb. I have been this way since November and other than depending on others for my care, its not as bad as I thought. I'm still here to see my children come home from school and I. Am more than thankful for that.

Whatever you do, please don't dwell on the what if's. I know first hand and you really don't want to go to the dark side of this disease. It is so very hard to get out. Enjoy every day; rain or sun, its a wonderful gift from GOD.

Toto

Very well said Toto! 1 step at a time & enjoy the amazing beauty & grace :) Your process looks like mine byw, started right foot, now my left hand and left leg is getting weaker and right leg too, moving up, no diagnoses yet 4 me, hope it will not be... take care!

Thank you I needed to know this information too... Yes, ALS presents it self differently in individuals, but just talking it over, learining about others helps. I HATE ALS.

wow tahnk you everyone! I really admire your strength, sometimes I have a sort of feeling that says take it easy, death is nothing, anyone can die right now so that does not make me different from any other person, but sometimes I'm thinking I still have so may things to do in my life, why do I have to watch myself so miserable.... that's why i keep asking questions, trying to understand this BEAST! I can't believe that in the 21 st century we still have no idea what causes ALS, nor how it will evolve for each affected person....

Film, you're putting the cart in front of the horse if you're not diagnosed with ALS at this point. If you're still walking and have generalized weakness throughout your body--perhaps they will find a different answer for you?

One member here has a good quote--prepare for the worst and think of the best--something to that effect. Wait for a diagnosis before you think of the worst.

It would be strange for generalized weakness everywhere kind of at once to be ALS. It starts in one place and moves from there. Good luck to you.

Hi Film, i agree with notme, you have no ALS dianoses and i havent too, i keep an open mind, i'm afraid it might be ALS but there are other options too, untill i know whar is wrong with me i am not going to fear whatever and focus on living and enjoy all beautiful things, do what i can do and hope for the best! So should you. Wipe your fears, wait 4 what your docters will conclude. Don't panic! Take care there!

oh I'm not panicking, I accepted the sentence already... It's pretty I hae ALS< this has been going for three years now, iwth progressie weakness, it did not happen in one day... Plus, my hands and arms are now so atrophied, that really, what else could it be?... I hae had eery single test and medical eam on earth, so my ALS diagnosis was left when doctors ecluded eerythign else... still my EMG is inconclusie but i don;t pay attention to the emg, i look at myself and my muscles... and that's enough to indicate that I'm certainely not going to get better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back