Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
LA
City
Gretna
I was told I have ALS Feb. 2012. I have braces on both legs. What is concerning me is although losing weight is a good thing, I have lost 25 lbs. since Dec. I am concered that it is muscle loss. Does anyone know of a good muscle vitamin (no I don't want to be a weightlifter). I take from A-Z in vitamins. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.;-)

No losing weight is not a good thing. Eat high caloric food and keep as much weight on as you can. I think your multiple vitimin is good but maybe others know more about vitimins than I.

And welcome to our family! You'll find many good people and lots of helpful information here. What's your story? :)

Hello and sorry to meet you under these circumstances. I lost 30 pounds is less than a year. At first I thought it was a good thing, then the atophy started to show its ugly head. You must keep up your caloric intake. The way the disease works as I have been told, is that the body will break down the weakened muscle when it needs energy. Perhaps someone else can word it better. I was encouraged to aim for at least 3000 calories. I use suplements like ensure as some of my meds just kill my appetite.

I have a thick shake every night. I also have a feeding tube . I get2 cans a day one at 9:00 second 4:00 I eat regular food too . Iwas 114 and now 127

I have a shake with fruit, ice cream or yugort, protein powder, orange juice, and just a pinch of cayenne pepper. Yes cayenne pepper gives it just a little something different, good. I read that regular Hershey's chocolate powder has a good amount of protein in it. Try lots of things to keep the weight on. It is fun trying eat 2500 to 3000 calories a day. Wife does not think it is fair tho.

Hi, my husband has lost 25# since December, we went to clinic March 5th and they said to give him --- Benecalorie 300 calories in each ounce, Gordon Foods sell it or you can order it on line at Nestle's health source, add dry milk to his milk, he drinks 2 cans of ensure a day, protein powder. The dietitian said eat alot of protein because even your heart is a muscle and you need protein . He can only eat soups and easy food to move around his mouth. It's hard to figure out menus. Everybody wants to loose weight so there's not alot of recipes full of calories, I guess you have to get aggressive . Good luck

Welcome aboard Vlro! Losing weight is frowned upon for PALS. We have weigh in at every clinic. Some studies indicate that maintaining weight can extend longevity. Try adding some extra fats to your diet. While others try to reduce their fat intake we PALS seem to benefit from it. There's a study under way right now to determine the best combo of fats, carbs and protein for PALS who PEG.

Butter or olive oil on everything . Lots of full-fat dairy, we make a shake every day w fruit, ice cream, wh milk, egg, malted milk, and sometimes pnut butter. Lots of soft high-fat cheeses. Chocolate. I can't chew much but manage stuff that's cut fine or mashed, don't forget the butter. Eat up! Good luck!

No calorie is a bad calorie, that's what I've been told.

Vlro.....eat eat and eat somemore. I was just told I had lost too much weight (I did not think so) so doc gave me 4 weeks to gain or he wants a feeding tube put in. I am Eating all I can hoping to not have to this procedure just yet. Being to thin will eat away at the muscles that are already being destryoed and thats not good, so extra weight is...........:)......Brownies, hot fudge sundies, Protien all a must. Protien powder can be mixed with lots of things for extra boost.

Jb63 got it right in her post. Add those extra calories so that your body doesn't have to look to muscle breakdown for it's needs.

Looking for high calorie receipes? Check out Paula Deen! I think she made a hamburger with glazed doughnuts substituting for the bun! Alot of our CALS make good use of a heavy duty blender. Many like the Vita Mix. Add heavy cream and butter to soups and puddings.

NEALS is now on fb. Like them and you'll receive updates in your news feed on what's current in news and research.

Alden's organic ice cream will help! A little whipped cream on top! For the first time in my life I don't have to worry about my weight!

EAT MORE! I don't know who gave you the idea that it's ok to lose weight (maybe your GP? I know mine told me I can stand to lose a few LOL he's clueless about ALS really). It takes a lot of work to increase your calorie consumption, and the more muscle you lose and the more effort everything takes, the more calories you need! Anyways... careful with the viatmins. I always hear people say they gain weight taking them, but I have always LOST weight taking them (and that sure was a problem when I was pregnant... taking prenatal vitamins made me lose 18 el bees right off the bat). So that may be the case for you too. Definitely check with your doctor before you start taking anything! As for the weight loss being due to muscle loss, par for the course. While I don't think there's a way to prevent it, I do believe the saying "use it or lose it"... within reason, of course!

~ Sarah

creatine monohydrate is useful to keep on muscle that is still healthy. Body builders use it to help build muscle. We are not trying to build more just to keep what we have.

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back