Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Steinhatchee
I have been having a problem opening my eyes during the night. This happens when I get up during the night to use the bathroom. Usually I can keep trying until they open. Last night I had to manually open them. Just wondered if others had this problem.
Thanks
Beckysuenc

Not I Sweets. Have you asked your PCP or Neuro about this?

Becky,

I'm sorry I can't help you on that either. But from my understanding, I thought eyes were not affected. Maybe that just means vision and not the eyelid muscles. Like marta said, call your doctor and let us know what they said.

Ha, my first post without all of those added ks.

Are they stuck shut with mucus like stuff or just won't move?

AL.

Becky, I have had the same thing happen 4 or 5 times in the last 4 months. I can't explain it, it happens one night or morning in my case, then not again for weeks. I'm just pretending like it doesn't happen at all. No mucus, just won't open for seconds ,5-10 which seems like minutes I can assure you and then all is normal again. Odd eh?

Becky, I have the same problem with my eyes. They are pasted shut in the morning. I just figured it was that thick mucus and appearing somewhere other than my throat. When I was a kid my folks called it sleep dirt. :) Warm wash work pretty good.

That is exactly what I am experiencing. No mucus, just doesn't open. Strange huh?
Thanks everyone for your answers.
Beckysuenc

The eyelid muscles can definitely be affected by ALS. I confirmed with my neuro at U of P ALS clinic. My eyelids only halfway shut during sleep and I have occasionally experienced difficulty opening my eyes upon awakening. It's a bit frightening as I am locked in and rely solely on my eyes for communication.

It must be particularly frightening for you Smart. My eye issues come and go, mostly go, so I'm in hopes they stays away for me, you and becky too!

my pals is nearing 10 years into this disease. he is locked in as well. he has a hard time closing his eyes all the way... keeping them shut... and opening them after theyve been closed for awhile. I also have to remind and help him blink sometimes.

Liz,

Does your pal use an ointment to lubricate his eyes. My sil did after he had brain surgery and lost all movement on the left side.

Toto- he uses an ointment at night and drops during the day. His eyes are his biggest complaint. they hurt something fierce. burn too. i think its the lack of blinking. he has dry patches on his eyeballs. sucks.

I was prescribed lacri lube to use at night to keep my eyes moistened. What a mistake! It effectively prevented dryness but my vision remained blurred all day. Hard to use eye gaze with blurred vision! Thanks to suggestions at PLM I found an OTC product Genteal. I use PM gel for sleep and moderate dryness during daytime and vision clear and no more dryness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back