Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
VA
City
Richmond
When I yawn (a real one, not a forced one) my right wrist hyper-extends backward involuntarily. The muscles of my forearm don't let go until the yawn relaxes, and generally is followed by a pretty nice cramp. Asked my neuro if this was "normal" for ALS. He said it's not an unusual finding with overexciteable upper motor neurons. It used to just be that wrist, which is my weaker side. Now it's starting on my left side periodically with a really hardcore yawn.

I think it's just a cool bar trick. Does anyone else have any fun reflexes?

When the phone rang Bob's left arm used to fly in to the air. Fully raised! That was early on in his progression.

When I blink my mouth twitches on my right side and it's getting worse. Must be the same thing because I didn't used to have a twitch when I blinked. Attractive, eh?

It is sooooo embarrasing when loud, unexpected noises happen now. Recent example: watched the movie "Signs" with a friend a couple of weekends ago. Every time there would be a quiet part in the movie, and then a sudden noise, I would jump a mile. My startle reflex is insane! Friend kept saying, "But you've seen this movie at least two dozen times. Why do you keep getting so surprised?" So I had to explain the whole hyper-reflexes in ALS thing. His comment: "What a weird, stupid disease." Indeed!

Indeed Dear Gulp! I jump at nothing too. Kind of funny!

When I blink my mouth twitches on my right side and it's getting worse. Must be the same thing because I didn't used to have a twitch when I blinked. Attractive, eh?

I think you just need to follow that up with a smooth "How you doing?" just like Joey from the show Friends.

Lol! I'd be saying it every few seconds! I just smile a lot in hopes it's not too obvious. Like this ;)

I never thought you all we're serious about the heightened reflexes but they are getting me good now. I don't say I am jumpy, just extremely alert!

lol, Brian, I was thinking along the same lines. If Pie wasn't careful she could get herself in a whole lot of hot water without even knowing it. I am a whole lot more "jumpy" than I ever was but I thought it was just general nerves not "nerves".

yeah, If it is quiet or I am concentrating on something a noise will startle me. It doesn't even have to be loud.
Lately I have noticed the same thing if I am concentrating on something and someone walks up really fast, it will scare the crap out of me. Well..... not literally... not yet anyway.
I carefully go around corners in my house holding on good to wall or walker in case someone is walking up fast.
Strange....strange disease.

Love this thread!

Yep. This is one strange disease. Before diagnosis when I was playing my bass guitar and tapping my heel to the beat when my leg took off bouncing out of control (from the hyper reflex clonus.) Fun!

Remember Robert Kliens? Skit about being a blues harmonica player and the song turned into "I can't stop my leg". So funny so many years ago. Now it takes on a whole new meaning.

Love this post also,

When I get startled it is as if an electrical shock passes through my whole body, as if I stuck my finger in a light socket.
And sneezing , Oh my gosh, pleese no more sneezes, all muscles say "Get Her Now!" and all cramp up. I use to love to sneeze. I try to not to so hard now. Yawning just stays there all cramped up till it is ready to release....I tell my self NO yawning, often have to turn away if people are around or else...:eek:

Are we having Fun yet?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back