Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
AL
City
Dothan
Did anyone lose the ability to belch/burp when in a reclined position before they had breathing issues? Just in this last week, I have to sit my hubby up in the lift chair or the bed in order for him to burp. He has always been on cpap, never on bipap. I do not know his FVC. It was like 70% nearly a year ago.

Just wondering if this is a symptom of other issues... :?

First of all, he needs to be on a BiPap to help him breath in AND out. The CPAP only forces air in. Please get him a BiPap. Here is an explanation from e how that is pretty straight forward:

"Bi-Level Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP) machines are non-invasive machines that provide positive pressure while a person breathes in and lowers the air pressure when a person breathes out. Thus, the BiPAP has preset pressures: EPAP (exhalation pressure) and IPAP (inhalation pressure). The machine may also have a timing feature for breaths per minute (BPM)."

The burping issue could be gulping air (forced or not) or just bad gas build up.

I saw in one of your previous posts that you were told he had to have a sleep study for a BiPap. He does not. Please take him to your local ALS clinic and have him tested for FVC.

I'm sorry y'all are having to go through this...

It could be that he is in a reclined or lying down position too long and his body is unable to digest and move things out correctly. This is why in hospital beds they try to sit you up for at least a couple hours or put you in a chair to get your digestion moving. How much time does he spend in a reclined position?

CJ is right on about the bi-pap. My Dad's primary doctor referred him to a sleep doctor for his bi-pap while we were waiting for the ALS clinic appt. They made him do a sleep study. When we finally heard from the clinic, they said they always prescribe the bi-pap without a sleep study. The other doctors just don't understand ALS.

I agree. Your husband should be using a BiPAP. Bob had to go in to the hospital for two nights to initiate BiPAP use. They made sure he didn't have trouble with it and sent him home with the right pressures, etc. This is how it's generally done here although because we had to wait for a hospital bed to become available, it did come up that they might have been able to do it as an outpatient. We then had a home care respiratory therapist adjust pressures as needed. All under the direction of the respiratory team with the ALS Clinic. Take care. Yasmin.

Thanks for explaining, Yasmin. I sometimes forget how things are done differently up north.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back