Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Colorado Springs
So tried to use this stuff for the first time in my water. Started with just one scoop. The powder never really dissolved, but stayed pretty grainy... blech! Isn't it supposed to dissolve?

Any advice?

Try mixing it and letting it sit for a little while. You can also mix it in warmer water , then add cold.

We tried it and it never dissolved. We moved to pre-thickened liquids and added it to coffee, etc. The liquid thickener came in dairy, lemon water and something else. Can't remember. We ended up using just the dairy thickener as the other stuff was too sweet no matter how much we diluted it!
After that we used the Peg anyway.

when Dad was in the hospital last time, they used 'simplythick,' which is a gel. Worked great, but is very expensive compared to the powders.

We were advised not to use thickeners with water because of the taste. One thing we did sometimes after stirring it in was to put it in a beaker with a lid on and give it a good shake. Then let it sit for 30 seconds before drinking. Might be worth a try.

I would love to know someone that is using it successfully. I've tried it in a variety of liquids and he refuses to drink them after a sip.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We used the gel Simply Thick it was the only one that worked at all for us. My mom never liked it in water. The most quenching beverage we could find for her was Kool Aid and Root Beer they both were good with the simply thick in it. I purchased it by the case off Ebay making the price much less expensive. It comes in a couple consistencies depending on your needs.

The other tip I read several times here, was a lot of Pals were able to drink straight from the faucet by bending down to the sink, I guess when they bent over it allowed them to control exactly when they pushed the water back to the throat, I realize this is probably not an option for many.

One more tid bit, they make special cups for drinking that help to tuck the chin down for swallowing. They have the top cut out its something you could easily do on your own as well.

Be careful if you use the thick it with any carbonated beverages it will foam up and out of the glass. I have never used the gel only the powder and the prethickened drinks. You can make it taste slightly better in water if you add lemon or lime but nothing really helps much.

I have tried several but the only one I LIKE is easy thick advanced out of Australia. I feel sure you could order it but not sure if it would be worth the postage. I find if I use a sports bottle with a oval rather than round cap I can squeeze the water into my mouth, get a better seal with my lips and it's all in a more controlled fashion without tilting my head back at all.

So was able to use the Thick-it powder in water by using one of those single glass mixers. About 15 seconds with that thing and got very smooth. Wasn't a big fan of the slimy result with plain water, so now add a little koolaid as well. The powder seems cheaper than the gels, so wanted to try the powder method. Just received some samples of the gel stuff from my ALSA chapter, so we'll give that a try as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back