Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Highland
How do you tell when your chest muscles are starting to weaken?

For example, you can test your arms and legs by trying to lift them up...but is weakness in the chest measured by pressure on the chest, or perhaps difficultly taking in a breath, reduced lung capacity?

I have noticed the last week or so, waking up, and gasping for air. Unable to breathe, at all till I get in a full sitting positon...I am trying to figure out if this is a warning that I am not getting enough oxygen or what is exactly happening.:|

Oh and sorry I didn't put this in the post...edit button seems to be gone.

My o2 level when awake that is is ~ 92. I am out of breath every time I walk up stairs or walk more than 10-15 steps. The only thing I have been given at this point is an inhaler if I have a lot of trouble. - And no, I have not been diagnosed with asthma...inhaler was given as a quick fix from my gp, who is no longer I am happy to say my gp. I am a singer and have noticed a decrease in my lung capacity (ie, I can't hold out long notes anymore, and get very fatigued after singing anything).

Perhaps you're having weakness in your diaphragm area, Kmendsley. Maybe you should look in to using a BiPAP if you haven't already. And sleep in an inclined position rather than flat on your back. Take care. Yasmin.

Kel, check your drugs for side effects, too. But keeping your head and chest elevated as you sleep will help. Look for a wedge.

I am only on Nadolol, and have been on it for over a year...so don't think that is it...but thanks Becky I didn't think about possible drug side effects till you mentioned it!

If youre waking up with headaches its a good sign that your O2 levels are too low at night.

Yeah, I always wake up with headaches...I just figured it was normal to do so as our family has bad migraines all the time.

i have migraines myself but that doesnt mean its normal to have one every morning. that is a classic sign of sleep apnea. i think you may need a bipap. and fast.
man this sucks. Im sorry kel.

Had bad migraines for years, controlled with meds and resolved 3 years ago with menopause. About 4 months ago started having them again, went from fortnightly to weekly to daily rapidly. Migraine meds worked but they always came back straight away. Was worried about O2, GP checked BP and prescribed Nadolol, sorted head right out in 2 days time. Haven't been back yet to check if BP is okay but feel better in myself. I know this doesn't explain you problems but might indicate you have other issues as Liz/others have said. Good luck sorting it out, bad head is miserable.

How do you tell when your chest muscles are starting to weaken?

Ask your pulmonologist at your next appointment with him/her.

And from the description of the symptoms you're having, I hope that your pulmo appointment is soon.

I agree with Tr. You need to see your Pulmo. Im sure you know that, as its not normal at all to wake up not being able to breathe AT ALL, as you say, and do nothing about it. Seems you shouldve gone to an ER....

Yeah probably. I try to brush things off because I am discounted anyway by my family ...so unless it is really serious ...they won't believe me...or take me for that matter.

Although now I think of it...not breathing is quite an issue...thank you all. I will be making that appt with my pulmo asap.

Should go to the pulmonologist ( FVC, PImax end PEmax ?) and do the breathing exercises!

Kel, your problems sound much like my Dad's. Two hospital stays - where the respiratory dept. was engaged - and a final visit to a pulmonary dr. in January resulted in no diagnosis. All we heard were "lungs were fine", which they weren't, especially when lying down. Cardiologist finally ordered a fluoroscopy of diaphragm and found it functioning at 60% - just a week after the pulmonary appt. Apparently, "pulmonary" does NOT include the diaphragm, at least not at Henry Ford Hospital. Don't let the pulmonary dr. off the hook until he/she examines your diaphram, NOT just your lungs.

wow, it has been days since I've been sent to moderation, but away I go. Guess I'd better figure out the mod rules. Hopefully, it will show up shortly, but just wanted to say, Kel, that your problems sound just like my Dad's and a pulmonary d r pronounced him 'fine' a week before a fluoroscopy revealed his diaphragm was only working at 60% Don't let them get away with measuring oxygen, or even a chest CT. Those tests will not reveal a weakened diaphragm. Good luck, Kel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back