Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
MA
City
Watertown
This question may seem off-the-wall, but I figured it might be worth inquiring here.

As I lose strength in my arms/hands, it is becoming more difficult for me to shift my car from "Park" to "Drive". I drive an automatic vehicle (not manual shift). In order to shift the car, I must press on a "button" on the left-hand side of the shift. I have always used my thumb, but now I assist with my left hand.

Does anyone else experience a similar dilemma? Might anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

Many thanks for reading.

Do ypu have an Occupational Therapist? They have access to all kinds of attachments to make it easier for folks like us to do things like turn a key or shift a car in to drive. If you'd like, I have a li nk I can PM you to a site that sells such things that I got from my OT.

Yes, be careful first of all who you tell you are having problems with driving...even if it is realeasing the break. Don't want your license taken away for medical until needed.

My grandmother who had arthritis has this problem. She twisted in her seat so she was facing the shifter...make sure the Emergency break is Still on! and then she would take the palm of her left hand and push it against the button as she moved the shifter with her right hand from park to drive/reverse. Then turn back straight..release the emergency break while keeping foot on break so you don't go anywhere.

Seemed to work well for her...might want to give it a try! I am sure there are devices out there to help with this...maybe look into devices meant for arm amputees who still drive? Just a thought. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back