Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CT
City
lyme
I thought ALS patients kept their minds but I seem to be losing my short term memory. Since being diagnosed in 2010 with ALS, I've been gambling with antibiotics and I think my progression has slowed. Recently, I've been increasing doxycycline and it has given me more energy but I've become very forgetful and can't breath deeply.

Has anyone else had memory problems?

Brain fog I'll bet. I don't know if it's the ALS or age or too much on the mind or a combination but it seems to be a common issue here. As for the shortness of breath, could yor core muscles or diaphram be weak?

Are you on bipap?

If you're having shallow breathing from the doxycycline, it wouldn't hurt to bring this up with your doctor.

I take a dropper-full of blue berry juice concentrate every day, also a serving of barleylife powder reconstituted, and fish oil as well. These are all good for the brain and the rest of the body too. I will confess to enjoying being able to put it all (especially the barleylife) down the tube now :) My memory and cognition is good though. I notice more 'fog' when I don't take the fish oil in particular.

Last edited:
If the "brain fog" is due to ALS, I've had ALS since I was about 14, parenthood made it worse, menopause made it worse still, who could tell at this point.

And let's not forget what the stress of the actual diagnosis does to functioning. I find that my water aerobics, two herbal antiinflammatories, RX fish oil and realizing that I am 61 keeps me from worrying too much about forgetfulness.

Now, what were we talking about?

I have began to have real problems with my memory. It's been bad for awhile. I contributed it to age but now it's has started to really concern me. Hopefully it will not get too bad.

There are many studies out now saying that ALS causes issues with behavior and cognition in at least 50% of patients. Its not always a big deal and doesnt necessarily mean FTD. My PALS has a difficult time with short term memory as well. Concentration too.

if the statistics are correct about age of onset, it follows there will be some mild memory problems. My Mom used to say that it wasn't the memory but that the retreival system was slowing down. I just figure my brain is soo full it takes longer to find stuff.

I dont have any memory and I think it is because of the breathing issues...If you dont have oxygen, your brain doesnt work right. After a full night on the bi-pap I am full of energy...so this is telling ,e I should probably get on the bi-pap during the day some!

Now with ALS at least I have an excuse for my poor memory ! ! !

I agree with those who say it's not a cognition or memory issue, it's the everyday coping with ALS that seems to take over a large part of your life. With appointments, worrying, explaining, adjusting, modifying and keeping up with research, it's no wonder PALS appear to forgetful or preoccupied. I hadn't heard about antibiotics. One more thing to think about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back