Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
UK
State
Somerset
City
Yeovil
Just wondering how hoisting when attached to a ventilator works.

Mark is not quite at this stage yet but when I asked our respiritory nurse she simply said "you carry the vent with you". HOW! I can't seem to get my head round how I guide Mark on the tracking with the remote (making sure he doesn't spin round) and carry the ventilator at the same time along with pushing the wheelchair to move from room to room Dont get me wrong the vent machine isn't heavy but my hands seem full already.

Plus when Mark is on vent - he has a trache - if I pull him forward or knock the vent hose it makes him cough - so all this for the moment seems a little daunting.

How long does the transfer take? My PALS is able to stay off his vent long enough for us to get him from the bedroom to the living room. Maybe a minute and a half. He cannot breathe at all without the vent. Is this a possibility for your PALS? It helps if they stay as calm as possible.

I will time it because I'm really not sure, and I guess if I had to do it quickly, I could go faster than I do at the moment - stop watch will be on tonight!

you could also try disconnecting his vent for a short time to see how he handles this. Of course tell him whats going on first... some folks can handle it, others get too anxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back