7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
Hi everybody,

I was thinking it might be a good idea to keep a notepad for the benefit of all, as to what types of masks work for us.

There are quite a variety available, and I've noticed that we have quite a variety of opinions here as to what we like. For example, I absolutely loathe nasal pillows, but others prefer them over any other style.

Some of us have need for a chin strap, some don't. Some have big old schnozes (only guessing on that one) some have button noses.

I think it was Linda who had started a bipap mask thread a while back (?) I had responded in this thread and said I liked the sleep weaver mask. Which I did. I even got a backup mask in pink (my original was leopard print) The trouble is, my settings went up, and the darned think leaks unless I tighten down the headgear to such an extent that the strap marks on my face are semi-permanent. They are still there even after hours of no mask on. No marks on the nose though, the mask truly does what it is advertised to do. But, I'm just not getting enough good sleep, the seal is so precarious even with the straps too tight.

What I liked about the sleep weaver was how lightweight it was, that it was 'fun' looking (anything to lessen the sterile serious medical look is quite welcome around here) AND—a biggie, when my nose itched, I could scratch it without lifting up the mask and ruining the seal.

Anyway, that ship has sailed. New mask arrived today. It too is a nasal mask, although it also comes with pillows and direct seal (pillow variant) as well. What I like about it is that is is made out of a very soft plastic, or vinyl (whatever) and I can still scratch my nose with it on! yay! Another design element that I like, is that the support is on the top of the head, no straps on the cheeks. So, maybe the creases from the sleep weaver mask will eventually evaporate (they'd better!) It is by Respironics, the model is ComfortLite 2 Cushion and Nasal Pillow. (I am using the "simple cushion" which is the nasal mask included, rather than any of the nasal pillow, which are also included)

I've only used it for nap time today. I'm encouraged though, it was problem free for that. And, I will update.

So, if there is a mask you really like, or really hate, post about it here.

This info is real helpful.I was told today I have to have one. I am a little nervous about the comfort, so thanks for the info.

BeckySueNC

Rose: My husband uses the ResMed Swift FX nasal pillows system with his Trilogy during the day. He uses a full face ResMed Mirage Quattro with his bi-pap at night. He is quite satisfied with each of these. He was given the opportunity to try others, but these were the only ones that worked for him.

VL

Rose,
So glad you posted. I am having the same issues with my sleepweaver mask. Terrible face marks and it is leaking on the sides. I have lost a considerable amount of weight and have a very small face to begin with so it isn't fitting as well. I am going to look into this new one you are using. Please keep us updated on the pros and cons. Your ability to describe things in detail make it so much easier on the rest of us. I appreciate that in all your posts. I wish you luck in finding a new favorite.
Linda

VL,

Thanks for the input. I'm glad your husband has a system down that works well for him.

Linda,

I've only used it for a couple of days. So far its a winner. The only thing that's taking some adjustment to is the headgear itself is much heavier than I'm accustomed to. Last night I did better with it though. I am going to order a gel cushion for my nose. See link below) This morning the bridge was just a tiny bit red, faded right away though. The nasal mask that comes with it is super thin and pliable, I really like it a lot. My cheeks are starting to lose the marks from the sleep weaver mask, they have so many big dents from muscle loss, I just didn't need any more! But, aside from the creasing issue, I am also breathing better now.

Amazon.com: CPAP Seal Gel Liner for Nasal Mask - Set of 4: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31CwmJ0wS0L.@@AMEPARAM@@31CwmJ0wS0L

BeckySue,

There is a lot of accumulative knowledge compiled on the forum about bipap use. If you do a search you should come up with some good advise. Don't be anxious about it though, you really will feel much better (even if you don't consciously know you need to feel better!) If I can help you with anything, just send me a PM.

Also, I do not know how high the pressure settings can be for the sleep weaver. It worked for me at first, and it was very easy on the nose. It would be a good starter mask to grow accustomed to bipap with, that's for sure. (like a training bra for the nose lol) I have the hot-pink sleep weaver mask that has not been used. I washed it just to have it smell nice (they go into the regular washing machine) If someone would like to have it, send me a PM and I can mail it to you. First come first serve. This is only the mask and headgear. No hose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rose,

Let us know how the gel cushion works for you. It looks interesting, but $30 is a lot to spend if it doesn't help, and very little to spend if it does.

-Tom

Tom,

I couldn't have said it better myself. I absolutely will let everyone know how it works out. I did receive a shipping notification, so its on its way.

I'd toyed with trying the type that just goes over the bridge of the nose onto the cheeks. Even though these cost about half, there were too many customer reviews saying that it caused/didn't help with leaks. For every positive review, there was a negative one as well.

This company supposedly will take returns if necessary. I hope it won't be.

The verdict is in 8)

The gel pad is a smashing success, its like the Nirvana for mask wearers! (the loose translation of Nirvana being release from a state of suffering )

I had to trim it. A lot. It was huge. The result is no leaks, no red marks, a happy nose, a rested refreshed me.

For those who have asked for visuals, here you go. Not great quality, taken with iPhone camera.

First photo is what I cut off of it. It actually took a couple of trimmings. I don't have a big face I guess.

Last picture I have the gel in place under the mask (it fits between face and mask, not into the mask). This is mostly to show the headgear to a couple of people who have asked me about my latest and greatest mask choice. It kind of sits on the head like a baseball cap. Its heavier that I was used to, but I am growing accustomed to it. It is also the reason I am now sporting bangs, my hair looked just horrendous after a night of wearing it when I tried to pull the headgear straps up under my hair, pushing it back from my face. (this, incidentally is what the manufacturer suggests if you have long or silky hair—did not work for me) so, I smash it down on top, and don't look too scary in the morning. :wink:

I hope this is beneficial.

Attachments

• gel trimming.jpg
    gel trimming.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,992
  • gel side.jpg
    gel side.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 5,900
  • mask side.jpg
    mask side.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 6,461
Last edited:
Rose...this looks like the mask I want. I use nasal pillows and am quite satisfied with them but not with the way the mask is supported...two strapes on my face...one on the top of my head...one on the back of my head. My air tube hangs down instead of going up and over my head. Will my nasal pillows work with this mask? If so...where did you order this mask? Thanks for posting the pics!

Judy

Judith Ann,

This mask comes with both the nasal mask, and nasal pillows. You can choose from regular nasal pillows, and direct seal nasal pillows (you get to opt whether you want the direct seal or standard pillows when you order. It always comes with the nasal mask, the pillow style you have to choose).

Medicare will pay for a new one every so often—I can't remember the exact time length required. Check with the home medical supply company that set you up with the one you have now. If you qualify for a new one, they can get it in for you.

I bought it from "Direct Home Medical". Cpap Supply also has it, but they wanted a copy of the prescription, and that was too much hassle.

The headgear is nice, there's a twisty ring on the front that will shorten/lengthen the distance between forehead and tip of nose, as well as the straps that go around the head. Once they're set, they don't need adjusted, just pull on and off. They are not super kind to my hair, but not too bad with tangling either. Still the best choice of all I've tried as far as comfort on the face and nose. Glad this helped :)

PS ... the middle photo is of the gel pad on my face. I didn't realize it didn't show up all that well when I posted it.

Okay, I need to adjust my review of the gel pad.

Here's the thing. The literature states it has an odor that will dissipate. I am very sensitive to some chemical smells, and whatever this smell the gel has, happens to be one of them.

I wrote the review anticipating that this odor would fade faster than it did. Three nights into it, and after washing each day (to help the process along) it—to me—smells as strong as when I first opened the package. I'm not saying it won't fade, just that it takes longer than one would hope.

So, last night I could not stand it. I pulled it off of my face, and flung it onto the dressing table next to the bed. (one is supposed to keep it safely enclosed in the plastic when not in use so that it doesn't get dusty or furry, as it is very sticky) Let me clarify that during the day I was not keeping it closed up, just set in a plastic box with the lid wide open, so the continued smell wasn't due to this. Anyway, during last night, after I took it off, my bipap mask had absorbed the odor, and I was still smelling it.

I got the second mask that came with the new mask set-up. The ComfortLite comes with two slightly differently sized "simple cushions" which are the nasal masks, as well as two slightly different sized nasal pillows, so that makes four options total that come with each bipap mask.

I put the other mask onto the headgear,and lo and behold it fit without leaks (yay for me) I tried it previously, but must have needed to adjust the straps differently ,which probably happened when I was fiddling around getting the gel pad to fit.

As far as the bipap mask review, this means that the mask exceeds my expectations, as it fits, and is comfortable, no red marks. The nasal mask itself has no hard plastic around the nose, its like a nasal pillow that fits onto the nose like similar to a regular nasal mask.

Now, for the rest of the story with the gel pad. As I said, I'd flung it onto my makeup table. I didn't pick it up and put it away when I was busy with the mask exchange, just because—as in just because it was the middle of the night and I wanted to go back to sleep!

Enter the cat. Who wants fed. I ignore him,and pretend to be asleep. He gets up onto my dressing table and walks around, knocking over perfume bottles, and generally being obnoxious and noisy.

The noise wakes up the dog, who, I'd like to think is being a watchdog, but, more likely just thinks its a great excuse to come barreling down the stairs and join the fun in the bedroom, and hopefully be let outside to bark, just because its really fun to get outside in the middle of the night and bark and annoy the neighbors.

At this point I've now got a cat and a dog with different motives, but the same goal = to get me up! Oh no, not going to happen. Dog gave up, left, cat walked around on me, went back onto the makeup table, tipped something else over, and then lay there for a while.

I drifted back to sleep, and he left at some point during the night. When he did, he apparently left with the gel pad stuck to his fur. I can't find it anywhere.

So, my 30$ gel pad is gone, but I don't need it because I found the right combination of strap tension and mask size.

Read and learn from my mistakes!

... and know there is an odor to the gel that will take a while to go away. I think it would be excellent for any mask that has hard plastic, even if the mask itself includes a gel insert. The gel pad does not seem to be necessary with my new mask, and I do not plan to re-order one.

P.S.

Can we get some other reviews here within this thread? Those who have masks they love or hate—even just advantages for specific needs, such as if one has a beard, or a mustache ... My goal in starting this was to have different perspectives from various forum members. 8)

Judy,

I just started using a bi pap. It is a ResMed
swift lite For Her nasal Pillow. It is similar to what you are using but the hose is movable. I can move it to the back or sides. I am claustrophobic and was afraid I wouldn't be able to use anything. It took a couple nights to get use to it. So far I am happy with it. I was real nervous about it but rose and others alleged a lot of my fears.
Beckysuenc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back