02/2011
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Anywhere
Hi all! I need your advice.

About 2 months ago my feet and toes started swelling. This seems to happen when I walk/stand too much. My GP said to wear compression socks, elevate the feet often and at night, and take one 81mg aspirin a day. Elevating helps the most.

My questions:
Is there anything else I should be doing?

Do you think these feet are giving me a not so subtle hint that I shouldn't be walking so much?

Thanks in advance to any who reply!

My bad hand swells as the day goes on and one neuro told me this is normal, that people in ICU experience ths late-afternoon effect. As for my feet - not yet, but I have terrible leg cramps in my feet and calves if I stand or walk too much without doing my daily range of motion stretches. Maybe stretches would help you too.

B, do you go to physical therapy? Mine gave me some good and gentle exercises to do. Sometimes Brad gives me a foot massage which is heavenly!

When my mom's hand would swell I did some "exercises" that pushed the blood back. Can someone give you a gentle massage that helps send blood back up to the heart? Also you probably know this but make sure they are elevated high enough to be above the heart.

I forgot some info! I do yoga each day along with stretches the M D A recommends for als patients. Also, I worked in PT years ago before teaching, so I doubt PT would have anything more for me. My hands are farther along on this dreadful road (I said adios to my rings 6 mos. ago). The hands swell up at night, but wearing splints while sleeping seems to control them and prevent pain.

I think my reluctance to walk less is the root of my foot trouble.

Oh, btw Pie, the only foot massages I get are during a pedi! You are one lucky lady!

Oh, I love getting pedis! I'm due for one. Thanks for reminding me Dear B! :)

Usually the less you walk the more foot and leg swelling you get due to fluids pooling. Moving increases circulation thus cutting down on swelling. Hanging upside down like a bat does wonders but is difficult for most of us.

AL.

Thanks all!

Al, I guess this means this is only beginning based on your comment. What you said makes sense because even sitting (feet down) for 2 hours increases swelling.

I wish hanging like a bat was feasible...yet I can't imagine getting up or down from that pose!

I suppose I'll resign myself to fat hands and feet in late day clashing with my skinny little arms!

Bhappy, try to keep your feel elevated as much as possible, even slightly is better than all the way on the floor. I also keep moving my feet as much as I can, wriggling toes, etc. in the hope that it keeps the circulation going a bit better.

BTW, my pc sent me to have my really cold left/swollen/purple foot looked at a while ago and they tested the pulse, etc. Recommended a "channel blocker" I think to help prevent the blood vessels from going into a slight spasm. You could ask your pc about that as well. I have to say that I finally started taking the med last week for it, and it does make a difference in the coldness of my foot, not as much for the swelling.

Thanks all! Helen, I'll ask about that "channel blocker" soon.

Are your feet really cold? I think that was the determining factor for my beautiful purple toes... Now purple is one of my favorite colors, but not on my toes!

My left foot (the more affected ALS limb) has developed edema. Still active, water aerobics 2xweek and mobile. Some weird vasodilation stuff so amdoing Lasix and slow K and it helps. Would do compfressiion stockings, but they are a bear to get on with bad hands. Godd luck ancd circle those ankles!

hjlindly, thanks.

If no one is around to get the socks on, my clumsy hands take about 20 min. to do the job. I think this is just one example of how stubbornness can be your friend!

I try to tell myself, "Go for it!" I do have lots of time these days.

just a thought, PALs are very prone to blood clots,exercises and massages to move to the heart can also move clots. foot massage are not included..i think they should be prescribed. also if you put a tube of silky fabric on your foot and the stockings on top of it you can pull them up together much easier, then pull the tube off and use on the other leg

marypat - good idea. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back