Diagnosis
06/2010
Country
Aus
State
Wa
City
Perth
Hello I live in Australia and i started showing signs of MND when i was around 21 but it could of been earlier. When i was told i had a slight limp i didnt even notice so i could of been even 20 when i first started having problems. My MND first effected my right ankle then moved over to my left ankle slowly. I lost all movement in both ankles after around 2 years and i started noticing my right fingers starting to cramp up and my right thumb not moving in the same motion as it used to. I got a diagnose after around 4 1/2 to 5 years. I had to convince the first doctor i didnt do drugs because he didnt believe me. The years of waiting and not knowing was so hard my emotions were like a rollercoaster and i only survived with a good support system. I go to counselling which has helped a lot and now im seeing how lucky i am because yeah i cant do as much as i used to be able to but i can still do a lot and my progression is very slow. I have just made the decision to get a wheelchair which was very hard to do because as a lot of people know people do judge you and being young i feel image plays a big thing in your life.

I can say these days i have hope and feel like a different person mentally. I know having a wheelchair a year a go i would of easily went into a depressive state, so i urge everyone if you need to see a counsellor and never and i mean never not talk about how your feeling. Trust me it gets you nowhere and pushes people away who just want to help

Thanks

Hi there,
talking is good for you, both face to face and on forums like this.

so welcome to the forum

Peter

Mndsuffer27, for all you've been going through at such a young age, you have it pretty together! Welcome to the forum no one wants to have to belong to, yet is a lifeline to those of us who are here. I hope to see you around more.
Helen

Mndsuffer27, for all you've been going through at such a young age, you have it pretty together! Welcome to the forum no one wants to have to belong to, yet is a lifeline to those of us who are here. I hope to see you around more.
Helen

I am like all sufferers i have my good days and my bad days. I have been taught to take it one day at a time.

Welcome aboard. I'm so sorry that you are joining us on this journey at such a young age.

Congratulations on making the decision to get a W/C. To H**l with the folks who seem to judge! I got my PWC a few months ago and it's such a relief! Not only can I maneuver about more safely, but find I can do a bit more when I get to where I'm going. Fatigue has been an ever present issue and the PWC is a true energy saver.

I think that most of us have a tendency to postpone getting the equipment we need much too long. I suspect that it's part of our denial that our bodies are beginning to fail us. Unfortunately a delay can oftentimes lead to very dire consequences for a person with ALS.

Check out Arkallen's posts about his stable of "Bugger's". He has made many custom additions and is able to travel just about everywhere.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back