12/2010
Country
US
State
Alabama
City
Pell City
Hello everyone.

Newbie here. Dx' with ALS in Dec 2010, second opinion Jan 2011. So far I can't talk,walk, stand alone, drool like crazy and have swallowing problems. I have PEG tube but still eat solid foods.

I wake up often during the night with pain in the outer edge of my heels. A sting or burning feeling. The only way I get ride of it is to take all the weight off the foot and heel. Let my foot hang off the edge of bed so nothing touches the foot. Anyone with these symptom?

I am a 21 year USAF Veteran and getting a lot of help from V A. At present my wife is my Care Giver.

Thanks,
Mayo

for burning itchy feet use cold Aloe Vera Gel. Should find it soothing. I have same problem but on left arm and fingers. Good luck, it works fpr me.

My guess would be that you are experiencing the start of what can become pressure sores. Do you sleep with anything on your feet, ie braces? Try putting a piece of memory foam under your heels. Sometimes sheepskin (or imitation) can help too. Have your wife lotion your heels every day. Really its good to have all pressure points lotioned. We lotion my PALS elbows, feet, back, and buttocks 2x a day.
Having your feet hang over the end of the bed isnt a good idea for the long run, especially if you cannot really move your legs and feet much. Blood will pool in your feet and cause swelling and pain. With less mobility, usually circulation of extremeties gets bad as well.
Hope this helps some.

Are you diabetic? I'm type2 and get that burning. It's a neuropathy. Fleece boots help. I'm told there are meds for it if pain is severe.

AL.

Try Prevalon boots. If you can see a podiatrist at the VA or elsewhere, they may have some in stock but they are also available on line. They are used in hospitals to float the heel, will help protect the top of the foot from discomfort from blankets and will also keep the legs straight, which in turn helps the knees/hips. Whether you have diabetic neuropathy or not (my husband does), they're definitely preferable to hanging the feet off and/or letting the heel pressure build up. You could try lidocaine ointment as well. We did start w/ fake sheepskin heel protectors but there is no comparison with the boots. We also tried blanket supports but none worked out.

Thanks to all who answered.
Mayo

My husband had some boots with fleece and side braces, he hated them. He had back pain, and could not move at all in bed, he slept through the night and never had pressure sores. This is how we did it, 5" foam mattress and and a pillow top mattress pad. The head of the adj. bed was raised about 6". I would lay him in bed, then use a long body pillow under his thighs, the ends stick out and prevent the hips from splaying, then two pillows under his calfs, smooth all wrinkles, with the heels just off the end of the pillow. Last a pillow against the soles off his feet between the foot board, prevents the covers from pulling the toes down causing calf cramps. Looks kinda like you would be sitting in a kitchen chair. It seems to remove the strain on the lower back and also reduces pressure on tailbone. It also reduces swelling in the lower legs from sitting in a wheelchair all day. Hope some of this may help you get some sleep, this worked for us for over 5 years with no sores and no turning him thru the night. penny1

My husband had that burning feeling in his heels too. He started sleeping with a pillow by the foot of his bed and his feet sort of hung off it so they weren't touching the bed or the pillow. It worked really well for him. Just keep experimenting!

Dear Mayo, I seem to understand your foot pain, whether sleeping or not... it is on the outside of my left foot, lasts for about 5-10 seconds, seering pain, like burning with a knife...it is the most painful seconds I can barely handle! I asked my foot doctor, she showed me a picture of the muscles in the foot, cant remember the exact name of the muscle, said it has spasms. I do not have ALS, my father passed away with it 2 years ago, and I have been reading alot on it. I am curious to my own pain now, trying not to be a hypocondriac. In my case, and maybe yours, it has nothing to do with your covers, blankets or pillows, not affected by touch at all, it is internal, like I said, a muscle spasm. I am curious to if you found out any more information. Kathy

You never answered if you were diabetic?

AL.

I was diabetic type ii taking Metformin. Stopped medicine and sugar has been running about 110 - 115. While taking Metformin sometimes about 2 hours after taking it my blood sugar would be in the 50 - 60 range. I still test about once a week.

A for as heel pain I find any support just above my ankle that let's my heel be from touching anything works best to stop the pain.

I try to use a "Will Rogers" saying "One has to wait until evening to see how splendid the day was."

Not even a distant relative........

I use the sheep fleece heel protectors. Work most nights. Burning is from diabetic neuropathy.

AL.

I have similar ...my legs rotate inward or outward, never can get them straight and it causes my foot tendonds to be pulled. It becomes painful after a short period of time. Usually I have to strighten my legs and feet to keep them in alignment to prevent the strain on them.

I should have said also that we raise Larry's feet way up with the bed, while head and back are on a more gradual slope. You always want to raise the legs first, to avoid sliding down when you adjust the rest of the body. Not everyone will have his back injuries but it's one way to try. Also, the Prevalon boots do not have braces, just fabric and padding.

Hello, Mayo: There are no good things about ALS, but there is one good thing going for you and that is your years of military service and the much needed benefits it now brings. - - Pleased to hear the VA is providing great service for you. It took me a while for my VA evaluation and still longer for an appointment with the Neurology department at the VA Medical Center in Atlanta. However, all other areas of VA support have been great. As a sidenote, I have learned far more about VA benefits from our fellow ALSforums members than I learned from the VA department. I remain in awe of the time and effort that forum members devote to us. Sorry about your condition, but you are now with a very caring and informative group that will assist you immeasurably as we struggle down the ALS path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back