Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Gwinnett
Keep calling. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Otherwise how are you and your husband? Hope you enjoy the holidays. Always in my prayers, Liz

It's been posted on WWP's, PVA's and DAV's FB pages by a few of us. Got to spread the word. Was very surprised to read that only ALSA bothered to submit comments in favor of the new rule during the comment period. PVA and all the other VSO organizations were silent.

I do not think the PVA, VSO's, etc. really understand ALS. My understanding is the criteria that is used to rate special monthly compensation was developed by VA surgeons. It is directed toward amputees and not disease. So what is a loss of hand or foot to a surgeon? No hand, no foot. What is loss of hand to a PALS? Can't crack an egg or open a jar but it still moves because the arm moves therefore the hand moves with it - it doesn't do anything but it moves.

A massive education movement must take place before all vets with ALS get the care they deserve and need along with the appropriate level of benefits without a long, drawn out process that require multiple phone calls and appeals.

As of Jan 1st, my husband is no longer considered a Veteran. His active duty was "for training" and even though he wore a uniform everyday for almost 6 yrs, did Basic and MOS training, and has received benefits for over 2 yrs, we now are without any help from the VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back