02/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Gwinnett
OK Wise Ones! I need help.

My husband throws up frequently after he eats. If he starts coughing, after he has eaten a meal or snack, he coughs and gags and it all comes back up. He also sneezes during these episodes. He's always had a strong gag reflex but this is scary. The only time we ever used the cough assist, he threw up.

Any advice? Obviously something we need to address with the doctor again. He was taking Promethazine for nausea but he would throw up even with that medicine and the nurse practitioner took him off it.

Needless to say, he is losing too much weight.

Does he have a feeding tube?

No feeding tube. He eats and swallows ok He had a barium swallow when he was in the VA Hospital for the pulmonary embolism and we've had a speech consult. He is losing volume in his voice and by the end of the day his voice is usually affected. I understand it is the disease but hadn't heard anyone ever discussing vomiting on the forum. It is very distressing to both of us and completely unexpected when it happens except for the coughing.

im not sure about the throwing up after eating, but throwing up after using the bipap sounds like he's getting too much air in his stomach

Georgia Peach,

You might give him easier food to digest like a protein shake or pureed foods until his doctor can see him. I have not heard of throwing up either. Protein drinks are easier to swallow and good at keeping weight on. For sure get him to the doctor and explain every symptom you have seen.

My significant other, Erik, also has speech problems mostly in the evenings. I was given a laminated card that has pictures and words on it so Erik can point at what he is talking about, sometimes he spells the word for me but can't say it. Be careful with the cough assist as it may be set too high early on. I changed Eriks to begin with very little pressure and he likes it much better. Now his therapist is able to rest it to help him and he still likes it. Not sure at all about vomiting. Good luck with your husband.

I had a problem with throwing up every time I ate but it was right after I got the tube. And yes when I threw up it came out my nose as well. Not fun at all scared my husband he put me in car and rushed me to my primary care doctor he prescribed the same thing your husband has except. Suppositories so I don't throw them back up talk to yor doctor about that as well as why he is getting sick to begin with.
Hugs
Felica

Peachy, what about soft foods likeyougurt or applesauce/ that is very easy for my hubby to eat. I mix benecalorie with it which is 330 calories in one ounce with no flavor which helps with weight loss. I ordered it online from walgreens. vomiting really sounds scarey!

There is no rhyme or reason to what he can tolerate. For breakfast, he ate a fried egg sandwich - see that would make me barf. Then our son brought home Taco Bell tacos and he ate those and kept them down. He loves root beer floats so I make them almost everyday and he loves those little frozen eclairs that he can still eat. He also likes canned peaches and ice cream so he tolerates high fat food amazingly well. Along with KFC!

BUT, he is not coughing today either. He says he throws up when he doesn't cough so I don't know. Will address with the nurse practitioner tomorrow. I didn't think it had anything to do with ALS. He's always had gastro problems so that's more likely what is causing his issues.

OK Wise Ones! I need help.

My husband throws up frequently after he eats. If he starts coughing, after he has eaten a meal or snack, he coughs and gags and it all comes back up. He also sneezes during these episodes. He's always had a strong gag reflex but this is scary. The only time we ever used the cough assist, he threw up.

Any advice? Obviously something we need to address with the doctor again. He was taking Promethazine for nausea but he would throw up even with that medicine and the nurse practitioner took him off it.

Needless to say, he is losing too much weight.

Dry coughs are from dry air. Humidity can aid avoid respiratory tract infections. Running a humidifier is perfect but if you don’t have one, you can put a basin of water in front of heat vents. When water heats, it puts wetness into the air.

Athan
How to Stop Coughing

He should probably be checked for reflex. I'd suggest seeing the MD, too. NP's are great, but perhaps not as knowledgable as they could be with ALS.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back