Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I have noticed lately that there is no inkling of ALS in my dreams. I am perfectly normal...what are your experiences?

My husband often commented on that. He never had ALS in his dreams. He said that when he was first waking up, that hazy state between sleeping and waking, he would forget that he had it. Then he would try to stretch, and he would remember. As a side note, he never had ALS in my dreams either.

I don't remeber my dreams very often but when I do, no. I'm amazed that I'm walking or running just fine so am aware I have it but no sign of it other than that. Interesting!

How have you been by the way stranger? :) It's nice to see you!

Well since you ask, my pals, now deceased, was able to walk, talk and move her arms when she came to me in a dream last month. When she was alive she communicated to me a powerful dream where she had travelled to Lourdes (a French site of pilgrimage & healing). When she got there she was asked if she would like her speech restored or her ability to walk........

That sounds wonderful. in my dreams I can talk and eat. I can cook all by myself. I am perfectly healthy now if dreams would only come true.

I talk just fine in my dreams.

I am slow onset,intrinsic muscles only. My dreams are worse (hense the Xanax at night). In my dreams I can no longer walk, see myself being encased in concrete, and held under water. Since I have only (so far) lost my dexterity in my hands and lateral stability in my ankles, I think dreams are really different depending on where you are now and the type of personallity you have.

I went to ask my husband. He said that when he dreams he knows that he had ALS but now he could walk again and he wants to find me to tell me.

I never really dreamed much before ALS,but now it seems I do. They are great dreams with me playing basketball, walking where ever I need to, even working, climbing poles and ladders. Using hands to tie fishing lures on, tie my shoes, button shirts. Then I wake up and OH CRAP I AM STILL HERE!

Hey, that's a great topic!

My dreams are of me being normal and dancing and ice skating and rockin' out on piano and all the normal stuff I do, erm, used to do. Only once did I have a dream where I was limping and looking for my brace and was freaking out because I lost a $900 piece of equipment LOL.

Actually, recent dreams have been of the "no air" variety: finding fish out of water flopping on the floor, being in water and drowning, getting in a tiny elevator and feeling like there was no air, etc. Couple those dreams with the morning headaches, inability to go to sleep after I wake up, and being sleepy during the day, and we're thinking it's time for a sleep study and bi-pap!

Wow! How frightening Gulp! I'm sorry Toots.

Glup, definelty get some kind of vent to sleep at night. It helps me get much better rest and maybe helps with the good dreams.:)

Bob mentioned once that he had a dream where he could walk. At that point ALS had progressed where he couldn't walk. He loved going for walks and for hikes before he got sick. Interesting topic with such a variety of dreams. I'm sorry we are all going through this.....CALS and PALS and for those that have been through this already - former PALS and CALS. Yasmin

I'll also add that when I dream about Bob now, he's usually mobile but we both know he's sick. I am always worried about him expending too much energy.

Last edited:
ok, so im obviously not a pals, but i want to share too...
when i first starting dreaming of my pals, he wasnt disabled at all. (ive never seen him in any other way than locked in so this was neat). But as the years came and went, the more i dreamt of him, the more he became disabled...
Most of the time though, he can still move a couple things, or he can talk (wish i had a way to record voices in dreams... wonder how close it is to what his real voice was).

I think some of it may have to do with where we are in acceptance. in the beginning, i so desperately wanted to know what his voice sounded like, or what he looked like standing up... so id dream about that.
And now, now that ive accepted it more, i have more realistic dreams about him... sometimes in the dreams we communicate telepathically... and we do that for real sometimes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back