Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
tx
City
fort worth
how does someone cope watching a loved one die slow w als it is so hard to watch i dont know how to keep strong

I'm so sorry that your loved one got this diagnosis. Try to take things one day or even one moment at a time. Try to fill your loved ones days with joy. Watch your loved one live rather than watching them die. What are your loved one's struggles with ALS so far? Can you think of ways to make things easier for her/him? Is your loved one able to travel or do things or are they totally incapacitated? If they can be moved easily, is there anything they'd like to do? Funny movies or reading is good. Music is good. You being strong is good for them. It helps them be strong. I wish I could be of more help Sweets.

Playys, Well, you have heard from the Magnificent Marta and the Comforting Kaye. One with and one
without. :) Now you can see what the Jumpin Jim has to say. :)

First of all we are all here playing verbal ping pong. You served the question and we give an answer.

There is nothing fun about this process. However, we share our thoughts and our experience and you
share yours. All the while we are going through the process. Life sometimes, can be illustrated by getting
into a conoe. Your family and friends are in that conoe. As you go down the river of life, balance will keep your conoe
from tipping over.

If one leans to far to the left, someone is going to have to lean to the right. Else, the conoe is going over.
Leaning is a sacrifice. Some make poor choices and attempt to upset the conoe. Others through no fault of
their own find them selves leaning and can't help it. Comfort is when all is in the center of the will of gravity.
Those with ALS find, they are leaning unwilling. Some one else will have to sacrifice the center of life for the
uncomfortable role of always leaning the other way just to keep the conoe from going over.

Now that we are joining the blind man in a dark room looking for the black cat that isn't there, lets come
back to reality. Death is for everyone. We all die. ALS makes us think about it.

Now that we are thinking about it, if you had a choice, would you rather watch them die quickly, or slowly?
The whole analogy breaks down, because we don't have all the facts and understanding to make the
choice we can Quote; "live with" and "die with"

If I have not lost you yet, and I hope I have not, because this is not making light of a very horrible
sickness, but seeing it for what it is. ALS is just one way of death. Quick or slow is not the real issue.
My experience and the girls and you, for the most part will be alike. There will be the details of the day
that make your experience unique. So, the glass half empty or half full is a choice.

The temporary struggle for both, pals and cals is not worthy to be compared to the eternal reward..

My PALS and I laughed and cried to the end. Now, what was it you wanted to know? :)

Hugs to you my friend

Jim

Jim what you just wrote was beautiful. We are so lucky to have you as a friend.

Perfect Jim. Just perfect my wise friend.

Make each day as good a day as you possibly can. We try not to waste the time we all have left by being sad. We are blessed. Sometimes it's hard to see that but we are blessed. It's okay to cry but it's great to laugh. We all have our own personal journeys to the same end. Lets make it a love filled journey as much as we can. I wish you God's comfort and wisdom.
Love,
Marta

I can't add anything to what my friends stated. Peace and comfort to you

Dear Jim,
I'd like to congratulate you about your post.Way of thinking is super. 'balance everywhere. '
If you have a fatal disease like ALS in your family or neighbourhood, try to keep balace in your life. When smo is very sad and hopeless you should be happy and hopefull, support your family and try to make everyone laugh around you . I have two daughters (13 - 6 ), I know that childhood is the happiest time of all life and my children's father has an uncurable disease. I'm trying to save my chilren , make them feel happy , and try to make my husband happy with my children's happiness.
Love

I try to live in the present moment, and not let this disease define who i am...I ask those around me to see me as who I really am....and love me just the way I am. The present moment so far has been very wonderful. I want to live fully and love fully! That is what life is all about, isnt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back