Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
PA
City
McKeesport
Sorry I haven't been in touch but I was busy moving into an assisted living facility.

I moved in late Monday and missed their Thanksgiving dinner which they had on Monday. So no turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberries, etc. And that is one of my favorite meals. Had to settle for an open face turkey sandwich with gravy and fries and cranberry juice today for dinner. Oh don't forget broccoli soup LOL.

Sucks a bit here since most of the residents are so much older than me and many have Alzheimer's or dementia. I do know the owner since I taught karate when he was a kid so I'm getting some special favors and a good rate for the room.

Already caused a ruckus Tuesday night when I fell and hit my head on my over the bed table and split top of my head 12 stitches worth and bang my face into the rug getting a nasty rug burn on the tip of my nose and my upper lip. Look like Rudolph. Bleeding copiously I had to crawl across the rug to get to the call button. Thank goodness I had them clip it near the mid-level of the bed. Still took them 15 min even though it was midnight to get to me. 15 min. seems their damn standard to get to residents any time of day. And I guess if you can't reach the call button you're SOL.

Had to be taken to the ER by ambulance to be stitched up and then brought back by my former next-door neighbor to the home. I hate here that they treat you like a damn kid. The ER doc gave me two 800 mg Motrin to take when I got back to the home and some antibacterial ointment. My neighbor made a mistake of giving them to the aides. They would not give them to me because they didn't have doctor's orders even though I self medicate here because I can still do it, avoid the three dollar charge a day, and still have my faculties. They wouldn't even explain why to me. Idiots! They still haven't found packets of antibacterial ointment the Doc gave me. They finally showed up a lunch with some Neosporin. I got my neighbor to buy some OTC painkillers so I have my own.

Another idiotic state law is I wasn't allowed a partial bed rail to help pull myself erect. Apparently someone had been strangled in a bed rail somewhere so no more bed rails. They did allow a bed assist rail as long as it was covered. So my neighbor improvised a laundry bag over the bed rail with Velcro. Works great!

I hope to hang out here more once I get my new fancy dancy standing recliner with heat and massage. I figured I'd go all out spending the money my coworkers and company gifted me with when I had to leave work. With the wooden chair I have in the room now it makes my back sore too spend much time on my laptop.

I'm trying out Dragon speak tonight which is great since I'm basically down to typing with a couple fingers on the left hand. So far except for a little problem on some words my speaking is still strong and fairly good. I figure this Dragon speak is good speech therapy for me.

Okay, will check in soon again I hope. Also hope to hangout more at tea time in the future.

Hope everyone in US did have very nice Thanksgiving with family. And I hope those of you PALS who can still eat food had your fill of turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberries, and all the other fixen's.

Last edited:
Rita I'm glad you're okay after that fall. What a way to start out in the facility. Sorry that you have to be there, but I'm guessing that in the end it is the right decision. Living with their rules and regulations obviously is going to take a lot of adjustment, but maybe when they get to know you they will cut you come slack. Looks like you have figured out Dragon Speak. I am sad that you are faced with such changes and such a big adjustment. I hope that it will be more homey once you get your chair and get to know the other residents and staff. Big hugs and loving thoughts being sent your way. Wish I could come by with a nice turkey dinner for you. Keep us posted about how you adjust and how you are doing.
Laurel

Hi Rita Dear! I'm so sorry about your spill! Glad that they could put you back together though. You, my Dear, sound good in spite of everything. Looking forward to talking to you.
Hugs,
Marta

Hi Rita, I'm sorry about the fall. It's scary.
Hang out here with us when you need someone to talk to. We got your back:)
Susan

Hey Rita, No turkey that's terrible. I wish I live where you are I would have handled it all. I used to make my dad a total Thanksgiving dinner. Everything ground up, even the sweet potatoes with brown sugar with marchmellow's. I even bought ground turkey for it. Ground turkey is pretty good. I had some left and make my kids some burger's . They could not even tell the difference.
I am soooo sorry you did not have a good holiday. Some of the floors in those places are very slippery. I am so sorry you are there. I know you are pretty sore and just want tobe home. Hope you feel better soon:)

Rita, what a sucky way to start your stay... wish I could come over with all kinds of turkey dinner, I have tons of leftovers.

Hope your head feels better today... remember we are NOT weebles, 'cause weebles wobble but they don't fall down. And we obviously do it with pizzazz.

Do you ever check out the Come for Tea thread? Please join our tea party over there.

Hoping that today is a better day for you,

Helen

Rita, what a sucky way to start your stay... wish I could come over with all kinds of turkey dinner, I have tons of leftovers.

Hope your head feels better today... remember we are NOT weebles, 'cause weebles wobble but they don't fall down. And we obviously do it with pizzazz.

Do you ever check out the Come for Tea thread? Please join our tea party over there.

Hoping that today is a better day for you,

Helen

hopefully I'll be over for tea once I get a more comfortable chair.

Rita, I hope you get settled in, and if you need us to come whoop up on some of them nurses, let us know:)

Oh Rita so sorry about the fall, glad you are on the mend though. Hope you get settled in ok and make some friends. I will come with Joni to keep those nurses in line!...lol......Hoping also you get that chair soon.
Grandson off to Abu Dahbi compitition in Texas will let you know how he does. Stay well and NO MORE FALLS!...Love you & HUGS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back