Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
Marlton
On Tuesday we leave for down under. It's a few days in Sydney and then a cruise around New Zealand. We're flying business class on my husband's FF miles. Going isn't bad. It's Philadelphia to Toronto, then Vancouver to Sydney. Coming home I'm dreading. It's Sydney to Bangkok, then Frankfurt to Philadelphia. When flying on FF miles you have to take what you get. There are long layover in between flights coming home.

I have a handicap cabin on the ship and a handicap room in Sydney. We're also renting a wheelchair in Sydney to take on the cruise. I'm not in a wheelchair yet, but we thought it would be easier for me on this trip. I've also asked for wheelchairs in the airports. Last time we traveled, I walked through airports and it really did me in. We're taking all wheelchair compatible tours, because I can't climb on a bus for the regular shore excursions.

I think we've got it covered, but does anyone have any other suggestions for travel?

Gail,

Your upcoming trip sounds wonderful! From what you wrote, it sounds like you've prepared well, as far as ordering wheelchairs in advance, etc.

My biggest suggestion is pretty basic. WATER! With the restrictions on what can pass through security now, you'll probably have to purchase after going through security. I can't stress it enough though. You will need all of the energy you can get, and flying sucks the water (and energy) right out of us, not to mention jet lag. Extra hydration helps with jet lag too, by the way.

Many, if not all PALS notice a direct relationship between exhaustion and progression, or at least temporary worsening of symptoms. So, even though it might not seem like my advise is related to traveling with ALS per se, it really is.

I used to fly for a living, and like all who work in the industry made it a point to drink at least 1.5 liters for every 5 hours in the air, and that was a bare bones minimum.

After you add up what you actual flight time is to be, it is a good idea to plan on extra for unexpected delays.

And, because you will be drinking all of that water, trying to be seated near to a lav, and in the aisle seat will make it easier for you.

Don't avoid drinking enough because of difficulty getting to and from the lav. If you are worried about leaks, consider those disposable 'panties' .

On more than one occasion, I have witnessed passengers pass out because they did not drink enough. Even travelling in business class, you should not count on getting enough water provided by the airline.

For every glass of alcoholic beverage, also drink a glass of water. Really.

Once you're through security at each airport you pass through, stock up from one of the little shops. Yes, they will most likely be charging an exorbitant amount for water, but, the benefit far outweighs the cost.

Good luck, I hope you have an awesome time.

Sounds lovely! Have a wonderful time!

Rose,Thanks for the suggestion of water. I wouldn't have thought of that.

After our last trip, I asked for an earlier clinic appointment because I thought my disease progressed because of exertion. My neuro said that ALS didn't work that way, and it was , in fact, temporary.

Gail, if you are flying business class, then you will have access to the airport lounges, where every thing including drinks is free. Usually business class also comes with bottles of water at your seat. The joys of business class travel :).

I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy my lovely country. What cities will you be seeing while you are here?
Aly

Gail,

Have a wonderful trip! I did the NZ/Australia trip last November, but by land rather than a cruise. I still have some of my fondest traveling memories from that trip. Most places are accessible, but the hills and curbs can be challenging. My manual wheelchair is pretty beat up from it!

-Tom

Wow--souhds like a wonderful trip! I would consider TEDS stockings or leg warmers to help reduce swelling from sitting so long. Also a backpack for your caregiver so their hands are free if you need assistance while transferring (even a slight helping hand so you won't fall), etc.. Call the airport ahead of time to let them know if you can transfer yourself or need help. If you can walk a short distance great, but don't forget there's a slight incline up to the plane even if you're wheeled down the jet way. Check your bags for sure--nothing worse than having you "moved ahead" through the security system and your caregiver left behind with bags. Also, tell them you can not get up or they'll take your cushion off your wheelchair and make you stand for the "check". Hope you have a great cushion, my hubby likes the ROHO cushion--although it expands on the plane do to pressure and you have to let out the air then repump, at least bring a 1 1/2 inch fabric store cushion--you don't want to come home with any sores. Hmmm...hope that might help---have a wonderful trip!

We want pictures! (forgot to write that earlier)

And yes, the airport lounges do have free goodies, didn't even think about that! Good idea. Regardless of where you get it from in the airport, just don't depend on there being enough on the plane. The primary position I worked for many years was international first class, and business first aisle. There were many times we were not boarded adequate water by catering, and, it was never deemed 'important' enough to warrant a departure delay to wait to get it.

Gail, if you are flying business class, then you will have access to the airport lounges, where every thing including drinks is free. Usually business class also comes with bottles of water at your seat. The joys of business class travel :).

I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy my lovely country. What cities will you be seeing while you are here?
Aly

How lovely to meet a real person from New Zealand.

Cities we're visiting include scenic cruising at Milford Sound and Fiordland National Park, which I guess aren't cities. And then we go to Oban, Dunedin, Akaroa (in place of Christchurch),Wellington,, Napier,Roturua,Aukland, Waitangi. We have a scenic scheduled at Akaroa.

I am looking forward to the business class lounges.

We'll take a gazillion pictures. As soon as we get home and get them organized , I'll post a link to a Picasa website.

Gail,
Have a wonderful trip!

Sounds like a trip of a life time, hope you have a blast. Sounds like you have all your bases covered. Use the wheelchair as much as possible so you can save your energy for when you need it. Take a ton of pictures so we can all enjoy your trip too. Have a blast. You inspire me.

Gail, I hope you enjoy your trip "down under".
We are a friendy bunch down here and our bark is defently worse than our bite. :lol:

Cheers
Peter

I never met an Aussie I didn't like :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back