Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
Hello. I need some advice or at least some thoughts.

Laurence has had two chest infections over the past month, treated by antibiotics. And as I mentioned on a different thread we started using cough assist which was really beneficial in helping bring the phelghm up.

His cough continues to be weak and he is constantly trying to cough. Something is irritating his chest, but when we use cough assist nothing or very little comes up (just white frothy stuff). This constant coughing (and it is is CONSTANT,almost like an alergy type of cough) is leaving him exhausted and breathing in a shallow way. Now, I know his respiratory function may have deteriorated, but the coughing certainly does not help.

When I put him on Bipap the coughing gets worse, the same with cough assist. He is not producing excess saliva, and can swallow fine. His apetite is not good. I do not know what to do, we will be calling the hospital but just wanted some thoughts from good folk on here.

Thanks, Dani

Dear Dani,
So sorry this is happening. I haven't any wisdom to share though I'm glad to hear the phlegm that comes up is white as that doesn't sound infected. Calling the hospital / doctor sounds a good idea to me. I'm hoping others might have other light to shed on your situation.

Sounds like he needs inhalers or a nebulizer.

AL.

Best wishes, Dani. I hope you'll get the help you need from the hospital and that Lawrence will be more comfortable. We'll be thinking about you today and keep you in our prayers.

Will keep you both in my prayers. A nebulizer may help.

Thanks All,

after a day from hell here is a quick update. L started coughing up yellow/green phleghm this morning = another infection. The district nurse came over an unrelated matter (hospital bed) and thought he looked 'ghastly'. Respiratory team sent a back up vent as I told them he was unable to come off the vent for more than a few minutes.
We tried to get him into a hospice for some rest/care but no bed was available.
GP came out and offered hospital admission. Laurence did not want to go (I understand as the only advantage is being able to have an xray). So he prescribed some super strong antibiotic (usually only taken for three days, and one capsule per day), and will evaluate in 48 hours.

Laurence is now resting with his vent on. He said he feels a little better. Still coughing, still not eating. I am exhausted, we had an army of people here today. And finally have a ceiling hoist fitted. More 'visitors' tomorrow.

Dani

Dear Dani, what a day. As you say, the day from hell. I do hope tomorrow is at least a bit better. The other advantage of hospital or hospice that I can think of is that they can administer antibiotics intravenously which is stronger than oral or peg taken drugs. I'm rooting for you and L and hoping the infection passes quickly, for you both.

Thanks Avril,

hospice told us they could not administer IV antibiotics (?), hospital could but our GP's take was: if delivered IV antibiotics are in the system instantly, by an injection in the muscle 1/2 hour, orally/PEG - 2 hours. In his view it is the speed rather than efficacy...The district nurse was calling for IV and we do have an emergency response team in our area who could have come to our home, but the GP though it unnecessary...Oh, he compared the current antibiotics (new on the market) to a bottled of Domestos! Good God! D

Domestos! Good grief!
Over here only hospice or hospital can do iv. Not available at home. Hospice described iv antibiotics as a big blast. Sounding like domestos? I think you will know soon if the antibiotics are working. Hoping they kick in quick for L & do the trick.

Whoops. Double posting

So sorry for all of this additional drama. Wish they could just administer the antibiotics in whatever method is best for the patient. I was going to tell you the last time we used the cough assist, my husband threw up and has nausea a lot now. Of course, he also blames it on my driving which would make me sick too if I was in the middle of the van being driven around. Thinking of you and yours.

Thank you. I understand nausea with cough assist as it blasts the air into the stomach as well
as lungs. I now open L's peg tube to release air. Maybe lower inhale setting. D

Dani so sorry you are going through such a rough patch with L. Hang in there and I hope it gives you comfort that we are all thinking of you. I hope the antibiotics work quickly and I am glad you have had such a big response from the health professionals.

How was his breathing before the chest colds started last month?

Dani I hope you get some rest and Lawrence gets the antibiotic in him that will help him. Bless your heart, you have to be exhausted.

Thanks all. He seems a little better, and has been able to come off his vent, to watch tv, to spend time with our son, to have a shower. I know ALS goes one way only, but still am glad that the breathing has not completely packed in over night. Taking some strong antibiotics and resting, the latter is something he never did. Dani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back