07/2011
Country
US
State
WA
City
Edmonds
Hello Everyone,

I had my PEG tube installed a few months ago and was turned off by the ingridents in the adult formulas offered. I haven't used the tube but I need to start because I'm loosing weight like crazy. I just don't have much of an appetite these days.

I went to the grocery store with my caregiver to check the ingredients on baby formulas and found most of them have lots of corn syrup which I don't want to ingest. I did find some that contained no corn syrup and purchased it.

Has anyone used baby formula? Is there any reason I shouldn't? I appreciate your comments and feedback.

K

Kay, our family used foods that Sis liked, we would puree them very well and then use any compatible liquid to thin out the puree so it was able to be "tubed" without any danger of plugging it up. We did soups and stews using chicken or beef broth for thinning. We had to switch to regular food supplements like ensure and later to supplements that had a higher calorie count to combat weight loss. For cream soup we added more cream and again added calories.
If you decide to try this just make sure to add plenty of liquid for thinning. Good luck. hope this of some help to you.

Hi K,
I got my tube 2 weeks ago and am similarly disheartened by formulas. Even the brand I found touting itself as being made from "real food" has corn syrup as the second ingredient after water. I am hoping to move to real food (blenderized) after a time, and if this might be an option for you, find the Lucy's Real Food website for guidance.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
Sue

K, welcome to the forum.

I would carefully compare the vitamins and minerals of baby formula vs adult formula. I do believe adult formula has more fiber and protein, so you would definitely need to supplement the baby formula.

Thank you all for your advice and support. I will continue to explore my options. I am down to 116 pounds and just can't afford to lose more.

I'm getting my tube on December 27. This thread is very interesting to me.

I have had my tube for about 2 months now my mother in law has vegetable soup she put up this summer. I love to puree and pour down my tube. I have also had yogurt ... V8 juice pretty much any thing I want as long as I puree it strain it and make sure it is not too thick .. If you go to the top and put in peg tube in search blogs you will find lots of info on peg tube. I told my husband tonight. Laughingly even if I could swallow. I think I would keep my tube. I am eating healthier Than I ever have
Good Luck and welcome.

I agree that the quality of my daily intake has improved since getting the PEG. Yes, the formula has corn syrup, but before I got the tube I'd been relying on ice cream and pudding to keep my calorie intake adequate, so, for me, formula is a step up.

Getting enough water each day is great! Also, there are 'whole food' liquid nutrients, and vitamins to add to each day's intake. I use bluebonnet liquid superearth, along with other ingredients such as fish oil. Every morning that goes in the tube. Its so very nice not to choke on vitamins (or have to taste the liquid variety)

One thing that took me a while to figure out (and I felt kind of dumb after I did) is that the size of the tube does not indicate the size of the opening that whatever we put into the tube has to flow through. If you take that 'Y' adapter apart, you'll see that the actual flow valve is much smaller, hence the need to liquefy or dilute more than one would think—or I thought, anyway.

The concept of using a ready prepared formula bothers me in principle, but the ease, and how darned cheap it is, makes it acceptable. Adding the supplements I mentioned above, along with blueberry extract, smoothies with wheat grass, etc, makes for a better balance. I am still able to eat some food by mouth, but, making sure what goes through the tube is balanced, makes everything easier.

Rose, I agree with everything except your signature.
GO PATRIOTS!:-?
(yes, I admit we lost badly...)
All in good fun,
Sue

Sue,

LOL I just got 'feedback' from Casey (CGAR) on his first thread. Yes, its all in good fun.

I'm not from Pittsburgh, but I lived there for over 15 years. I was back recently for a visit, first time in quite a while, and it seemed like everywhere I looked there was a vendor selling Steelers merchandise. The sports culture permeates the region, you can't get away from it.

The love of my life is a Pats fan. We have times when we're united as to who we do or don't want to win in match-ups, i.e. we never want the Jets or Giants to win. (that should bring some folks out of the woodwork lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back