Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
IN
City
Rochester
My husband went to clinic yesterday and they are suggesting braces for his legs.
They said they custom make them for his legs. They also said it would help the toe drop but more importantly it helps reduce fatigue. I am asking PALS out there if they really do help with fatigue? He is still on his legs but uses a rolling walker when he can.
He is trying to decide what to do. Does Medicare cover the braces?

I would not be able to walk with out them for any length of time! Period so from the perspective I am going to walk yes they save me energy. From the perspective if I did not have them I wouldn't walk as much , no. Oh I would fall alot more with out them too.

they tend to help because they make walking easier which equals more energy because less is used for just walking. later on they help to keep the feet and toes from curling under. my pals wears his just an night now- he is completely paralyzed.

Hi,

Sadie, Can you tell me what knee braces are? Thanks, Dani

Yes they kept me walking, safer for longer. They did not only help with foot drop, but my ankles would turn if I stepped on a piece of grass wrong.

By all means get them. Pretty sure Medicare will pay for them. The orthopedist will know for sure.

I just got mine today and I feel pretty close to normal when walking with a cane. I highly recommend carbon fiber braces also called AFOs (ankle foot orthosis). They will make walking so much easier and do eliminate foot drop while wearing them. You can walk with a more normal heel first step rather than toe or side of foot first step. Also, I can wear my regular hiking shoes with them on and inside the shoes.

My hubby is getting one tomorrow for the drop foot on the left. I hope it eases his fatigue level.

He will be amazed at how much easier walking is. Let us know how he likes it! :)

I love my AFO its called a "toe off" as Marta has.....it makes you walk normal. I would not be able to go anywhere if I didnt have it because I would be fearful of falling. Yes, it majorly cuts down on fatigue because you dont have to pick your entire leg up and place it.

I've had a Brace Since Mid August. For me I can tell the difference when I don't wear it. My leg gets more tiered. I feel safer with it on although I have only fallen once before I got the brace without it I walk slower look down to make sure my foot is lifting up ok and I think all that just takes more energy( the fear of falling)

Yes, get ankle/leg braces. The carbon fiber variety are feather light. They are not the whole answer but they do help especially if there is any thing except a short walk involved. Not all shoes accommodate braces but most do.

what do the carbon fiber ones look like? mine is plastic...

Also, buy a wider shoe and take out the insole to help make your brace fit your shoe better.

I started out with a Toe-Off AFO. It helped sooooooo much with the foot drop! I also liked that it is more adjustable than having one of the plastic kind custom made, since as you lose muscle and your leg "shrinks" you have to get those adjusted or even remade. About 6 months after I got it, I had the "Combo" part added on to make it a KAFO. This helped to straighten my leg and keep my knee from going back too far (this had been happening awhile and was causing a lot of pain). It also had the added benefit of helping me keep my balance better. The only draw back is that it is pretty heavy compared to the actual AFO. After 11 months, the foot drop had worsened and the spasticty was so bad I actually cracked the carbon fiber where the strut attaches to the foot plate! So now I'm sporting a Blue Rocker... it's the same as the Toe-Off, but more layers of carbon fiber and kevlar, so it is stronger and stiffer. I would not still be walking if I didn't have it! I think using a brace is an excellent idea, but it is certainly up to each individual to decide what is best for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back