Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Titusville
I was recently interviewed regarding my new non-profit for the children of ALS patients. It's called Hope Loves Company.

About me and HLC:
Hope Loves Company is new and in the baby stages of helping ALS families but I can't wait to be able to do so! My mission is to provide emotional and educational support to children and young adults who have family members battling ALS.

The interview (below) is based on my experience as a mother, loving wife, and caregiver.

The greatest role in my life (1995 until 2001) was caring for my late husband, Kevin Gerard O’Donnell, who battled ALS with amazing courage and spirit.

Kevin taught me that while life could be awful, it could still be beautiful when filled with love.

I am currently the acting secretary of the ALS Hope Foundation, and continue to advocate for patient care in that role.

Please view my interview online at: Hope Loves Company | Questions for Living

Thank you for reading and let me know if I can be of help to you and your family!

Jodi

Hi Jodi--So sorry for your loss but so good to see you using it help others. There are alot of people on this site with kids (I have 4 myself). I would like to hear more about the services you are going to provide.

This great! The people with younger children are the ones who break my heart the most. If anyone can help them deal with life with this disease they should be given a medal. Bless you I hope your organization flourishes! More importantly helps some young heroes.

How can you help my son? I went to your website, but it was a bit confusing?

Soooo, I guess you will be traveling the US or are you expecting overly strapped families to come to you? I have six children, ages from 11 to 32. So I gather you only want little ones? I do not remember readings listing your qualifications, I may have just slipped over it. I have a dual degree: Child Psych/Anatomy from Univ of MD and a credit or two shy of having my Master's from Johns Hopkins. All this and I still have not been able to tell the youngest two. That's my problem, and my husbands to deal with.

Sorry, to sound abrupt, but we are dealing with other issues at this time. Good luck in your endeavors.

Tough questions but fair ones. Did you post and run, or are around to support your statement. I see the interview but nothing else worth while. If your going to put it out there you should have the means in place to help. This is not a place for fund raising!

Not fundraising here but am out and about fundaising. For starters, I have a children's book about ALS to send for free. My first children's day will be help in PA in the spring. More to come.

I have to start somewhere, so PA in the first place. As I grow with funding, then I can branch out. For starters, I have a free children's book to send your children. I know that the ALS Association may also have children's programs near you....

As I receive more funding, I will be able to reach out more.

I know where you are, as I have been there and am sorry for your pain.

Send your address if you'd like the book.
Jodi

Please let me know what was confusing about the website. Tell me how old your son is and where you live. I can send a free book for him for starters! I will be having a kids' day in the Spring in PA.

I can also help you with your questions as I have raised three kids who have lost a parent to ALS.
Best,
Jodi

and sorry it took a bit to get back to you- so busy starting a non-profit. The paperwork is very time consuming.

send your address if you'd like a copy of the book.... What Did You Learn Today? about ALS

Well, I am just starting but the first service I am offering is a free book, What Did You Learn Today? a children's book about ALS and I will gladly send you a copy.

The second is a Kids' Day in PA this spring and I hope (with funding) a Kids' Camp this summer. I am tying to get the ALS Association involved.

I will keep you posted.

I know what you are going through (I raised three kids with a sick parent) and it's a difficult place to be.

God bless,
Jodi

p.s. since I am doing this all by myself- I am a a one person non-profit right now- volunteering all my time and efforts to get this going for children so if I am late responding, its because I want to get the funding and paperwork done to help ALS kids. Not because I am ignoring anyone- last thing I want to do!

Hello Jodi...thank you for your desire to take your experience with ALS and use it for others, especially children. I understand that you are just starting this program and it will take a while for it to expand. Starting small is a good idea, give it all you got! We had a simuliar program with our ALS association last summer. They had counselors and families dealing with ALS, and had a summer camp. Part of the summer camp was just to have fun for the kids, both with their families, and just with other kids. But also there was time for the kids to share their feelings, through drawing, or plays, or directly through answering questions.The parents meet also and discuss the problems they were having dealing with the kids. It was a huge success.

This is what your website is offering (in your own words):

" Hope Loves Company will provide hope and respite for these children. We have a Kid's Day scheduled in the Spring, where the children and their ALS families can come have fun at no expense to them to forget about ALS for a day. We are providing educational resources such as books and seminars to help build coping skills and we plan on offering a three day retreat this summer."

This is a good beginning. I wish you luck in your project, and will be praying for its success. Start small, give it your all, and see if it grows.

This is exactly what I want to do! Thank you for your support and suggestion and prayers! I will contact the Washington ALS Association and ask about their program. I am in touch with the PA group also. And the Philadelphia ALS Hope Foundation, where I have been volunteering since one month after my husband's death.

YOU are TRULY and AMAZING woman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back