Are these symptoms of my ALS or just other junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Long

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
I'd like to start my saying that I am not now, nor do I intend later to attribute every ache & pain to ALS, but as this is new to me I'm a little uncertain of things. Also, I do not intend to come here with every whacky twitch & itch to ask about it! That would get old quick!

Okay, now that those disclaimers are made, I'll ignore 'em and ask away!
To date my speech and mild swallowing problems have been my only issues. I know that'll change and know that I don't know how or when.
This evening I had some unusual pains in my calf and little toe, same leg. In my calf I had what felt like sharp needles (actually thought it was a bug biting me). Happened a few times, was instant and lasted only a few seconds. Later, when I was walking my toe had pains of its own. Best way I can describe it was that it felt like it was being pinched or squeezed-hard- as with pliers. Again, immediate and painful as mess but didn't last long.

So, the next question, (#484 for those keeping track)... is this typical or common as a manifestation of the ALS? I realize we'll all go through this differently, with an unlimited number of issues, but is this familiar to any of you here?

I got to thinking that if this is something else and I get it treated, it'd be akin to ironing the curtains while the house is on fire so the Fire Dept wouldn't think I was messy! But I'm aiming to eliminate or minimize unrelated problems so they aren't more annoying as the ALS progresses.

Fire away, smart people!

Have you ever had anything like these pains before? Do you have any other chronic medical conditions that you are currently being treated for (diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.)?

Those questions having been asked, what you describe doesn't sound like any ALS manifestation to me. ALS problems tend to be of the cramp/"charlie horse" variety -- muscles tightening and not releasing properly, with residual soreness afterward -- rather than the sharp, stabbing point of pain that you appear to be describing.

Hope this helps.

Just because you have been diagnosed with ALS doesn't mean something else cant go wrong. Have it checked out by the Doctor, you must keep your whole system as healthy as possible is the way I think.

Have you ever had anything like these pains before? Do you have any other chronic medical conditions that you are currently being treated for (diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.)?

Those questions having been asked, what you describe doesn't sound like any ALS manifestation to me. ALS problems tend to be of the cramp/"charlie horse" variety -- muscles tightening and not releasing properly, with residual soreness afterward -- rather than the sharp, stabbing point of pain that you appear to be describing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, TR.
Except for this terminal illness, I am pretty healthy. A few dents and dings that come from a half century of life, but no major issues. I am not being treated for any other illness or injury, though.
These were new pains, and did not fit the cramping you describe. That was what I was expecting, and have had some of in my tongue so the sharp pains were a surprise.
Thanks for the sanity check, and it did help.

PS: The old sayings "white men can dance" or "white men can't jump" are both proven to be wrong every time I get one of those serious cramps in my tongue! Look like a guy who got defibrillated before he was unconscious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back