Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
OS
State
Darkside of Moon
City
country
I have read alot of posts that people do not eat wheat or anything with gluten, When I first learned of my d x I saw that maybe I shouldn't have and tried for awhile not too but as time went on it didn't seem such a big deal. Just recently I have noticed several post stating they can't have either of these things.

Can anyone help clear up my confusion on this matter. Should we have gluten free diets? And are there any other known diet restrictions?

Thanks all..:)

My philosophy is, if it tastes bad, spit it out. Other wise, everything in moderation. Hasn't killed me yet.

AL.

Thanks Al, since I don't eat much anyway, I guess that qualifies as moderation... Can't see missing out on some goodies every now and then if it won't do a whole lot to help me anyways. Except I do over do it at Come for Tea with all the Virtual goodies there....:)

Di, I have never heard or can fathom a reason for a gluten free diet if you have ALS. Sure if you have an intolerance, but not otherwise.
Plenty of chocolate ..............

Gluten and wheat free diets often form part of some cure-all regimen pushed by scammers.

The only reason to avoid wheat or gluten is if you are allergic to them.

I have 4-6 slices of whole wheat bread every day - plus whole wheat pasta etc.

I am envious of those of you who can eat food containing gluten/wheat. Being an asthmatic and having all kinds of food allergies, I have lots of restrictions. Failure to be watchful can and have resulted in copious mucus production and Anaphylaxis. My days are spent suctioning following each mealtime. Anyone out there having the same problem?

I do not eat wheat or gluten because i have celiac....an intolerance to anything with gluten....but it has nothing to do with ALS.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this dreaded disease could be avoided by diet?
Deb

i have gluten intolorance ,my mum and sister also have gluten and wheat intolerance...........seems to run in the family.
so we try to cut out as much as possible,not too much bread ect.

gluten and monosodium glutamate has been linked for along time to many neurological conditions ,especially ms.
though realistically it can not be blamed for every neurological disease or case, the mitochondria has also been linked to contribute to a desease process in neurological deseases.
heres some info on gluten.
http://www.healthnowmedical.com/blog/2011/03/21/gluten-glutamate-neurological-disease/

Celiac disease (gluten) is rampant in my family. My grandmother lost a child from it and 2 Uncles and an Aunt have been hospitalized many times before they were diagnosed with it. Doctors are clueless when it comes to celiac. I was tested last month and tested HIGH for gluten intolerance. I cut out wheat just because I really don't need any more problems. I use Quinona pasta now and it's fine. I'm Italian and eat pasta all the time so cutting it out would have really affected my diet.

Thanks everbody for your input.

When I first got D X I stop using for awhile because I associated gluten with the excessive amout of glutamine in A L S patients and that Rizuole works on that. thinkin not a connection now. here is what ALSA said;

"Research in the early 1990s determined that ALS patients have raised levels of glutamate in the fluid bathing the brain and spinal cord. In fact, 40 percent of sporadic cases of ALS are characterized by this elevated glutamate in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Abundant evidence points to glutamate as a destructive factor in ALS. The first and so far only approved specific treatment for ALS is riluzole, a drug that modulates glutamate."

i have gluten intolorance ,my mum and sister also have gluten and wheat intolerance...........seems to run in the family.
so we try to cut out as much as possible,not too much bread ect.

Great article Olly !

gluten and monosodium glutamate has been linked for along time to many neurological conditions ,especially ms.
though realistically it can not be blamed for every neurological disease or case, the mitochondria has also been linked to contribute to a desease process in neurological deseases.
heres some info on gluten.

Actually Caroline (Olly) the Health Now Medical Centre referenced in that article is exactly the kind of organization I was talking about.

The author (and founder) of the article you posted is a chiropractor not an MD. In fact 5 of the 6 "doctors" listed at the centre are chiropractors.

It is probable that their program could help people with gluten intolerance and cellac but they seem to be implying that gluten is responsible for a host of other problems.

They seem to be selling fear and paranoia. Pretty much everyone taking their gluten sensitivity test will come away thinking that they have a gluten problem.

Fatigue; Sleep problems;Depression;anxiety;Irritability;Mood swings; if you are affected by any of the foregoing "gluten sensitivity may be playing a role in your health problems" according to their test.

But don't worry help is just a phone call away. Did we mention the modest fee?

This has all the hallmarks of a scam.

Last edited:
Richard your are right. We have to be careful of scams. The only reason I was tested was because of my family history and I was having issues. My family was one of 8 study families 10 years ago that isolated the Celiac gene. Before the study, Celiac was thought not to be hereditary. It is.

i was diagnosed with celiac disease in may 2010. i didn't think it was that big of a challenge because i have had type 1 diabetes for 30 years and always had to be conscious of what i eat...let alone carb counting, weighing, and measuring. but, gluten is in everything like food, hair products, cosmetics, body gels and lotions, and in things you wouldn't think of...alot of it is in the processing of items. i did begin to feel much better after going gluten free (at least the best i could, but i'm still learning), so it's not a scam. in fact, when after a year of seeing my neurologist for my muscle atrophy (now he thinks it's pma or hiriyama) and i told him i was just diagnosed with celiac, he's the one that suggested i go on a strict gf diet. i sleep better, and haven't had to spend 2-3 days in bed feeling like i had the flu...unless i was accidentally glutened. now, though, i've developed allergies to more than gluten (dairy, eggs, anything acidic makes the inside of my mouth chaffed). if you don't have celiac, but are just sensitive to gluten, don't eat it if you feel better without it. so, that's my story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back