Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Hello folks. I have a question about how to take proper care of the bipap. But some of the instructions seem a bit over done. I would like your opinion on these:

--empty and clean the container that holds distilled water: every day?

--wash the hose in soapy water once a week?

--clean the filter in soapy water once a week?

--wash the nasal pillow in soapy water every day?

I havent been doing this and just wonder what is necessary.

Thanks

You will find so many different suggestions on how to take care of the BiPap equipment! I just wing it.

I look at the mask (whichever he is using at the time) and decide if it needs cleaning. I look at the hose and do the same. The tank can start to get yukky, so you have to really keep an eye on it.

Don't use alcohol (although I'd like to), as it is said to break down the parts. And don't use vinegar and water too often, as the same is said to happen. I alternate vinegar/water and antibacterial soap.

Daughter said Yes to all of your ?'s Sequoia... she is a CRT. Bacteria isn't nice she says...so be diligent in cleaning the mask, tank, hoses, etc...

My wife has always followed the directions you laid out Sequoia...How have you been doing with your Bi Pap so far?

Sharon my hubby uses the CPAP and we have learned to be really diligent with the cleaning. That is the royal we <g> as I do the cleaning daily. I wash the mask with soapy water each morning as the oil on the face can keep it from fitting properly. I wash the humidifier with soapy water and use a soft brush to get in the crevices as bacteria can grow easily in it. I flush the hoses with very hot water daily and squirt dish soap down them once or twice a week. I hang the hoses over a cupboard door to drip and dry. I read articles on the cleaning regime --it seems that respiratory equipment is a huge magnet for bacteria which can lead to pneumonia--and hubby went through one episode of pneumonia in the beginning which probably was due to the lack of cleaning. I hope you are adjusting to your BIPAP.
Laurel

Ok guys....I'm on it! The fact that i cant see any dirt/yuck doesn't mean it isn't there. It seems like overkill m but I dont want to over kill myself with pneumonia!

I am adjusting to the bipap, but still do not sleep as soundly as when I did not need the bipap. I sleep half the night in my bed propped up with pillow, and half the night in my reclining lounge chair....but it is much better now as when I started. .The only problem is my nose gets cold and sore using the nasal pillow, so I have to take them off for a while and then put them back on. Bother as Pooh bears says! I may try to get the nose cone that Linda has. I think ahead when others will have to put the mask on for me, and i do not think the nasal pillows will be easy to adjust by someone else.

Mom had COPD and used a bi-pap. She was very comfortable using the mask, Sharon. I suggest you try that. My brother Jerry also has sleep apnea and uses the bi-pap also with a mask. My daughter Amy the CRT recommends them, and she sells them also when she sets up c-paps and bi-paps for her patients. Love to you and HAPPY BREATHING, shuga pie.... Love you Sharon....

Kaye

Just my two cents, enough time has passed to where you should be tolerating your mask better. I'd try a different type. I personally could never tolerate the nasal pillows, but I know that the medical equipment companies like to push them as first choice, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily the best choice for YOU. Medicare will cover the cost of a new mask every few months, not sure of length of interval, but, don't forget you have that option available to you.

I used a nasal mask (the triangle type that fits over entire nose) and most recently the sleep weaver mask. Still loving it. This mask I put in a lingerie bag and toss it in the washer, hang to dry.

Rule of thumb, wash water reservoir every other day. At least wipe mask out daily, hose at least once a week. I still use the Control III Disinfectant Germicide. A small bottle has lasted me almost three years now. But really, even dish washing soap will work fine. Like others have said, vinegar is good, but both vinegar and alcohol will break down the materials the hose and mask are made of if used too much.

In warm weather I like to hang my hose outside. In colder or wet weather, it hangs inside, but EVERY single day it is hung up to dry out. Make it a point to disconnect the hose from the machine on a daily basis so it can air out. Even if you don't do anything else, do that, and wash/ rinse out the reservoir at least 3 times a week minimum. If you hang the hose within reach of where you use the bipap, you won't be tempted to take a nap without it.

When I wash the hose, I fill it with the soapy water by pouring in from a measuring cup (plastic, they weigh less!) and pop it into one of those "broom handle hanger" things, that is fastened to the wall. It has balls that shift to hold, rather than clamps. Very easy (physically does not require strength) to use. I'll attach a photo. Its called the Evriholder Magic Holder 5-Position Wall Organizer, and is about 10$ on A mazon. Bed Bath and beyond has them too ... anyway, this is a simple way to wash hose without having to submerge in sink. This way I don't have to take the cover off of the hose. I set the timer on stove to remind myself, and then when time's up, stick one end of hose onto the sink faucet, and run water through it until its rinsed.

It seems like everyone has their own favorite method, the big thing is to actually establish a routine and stick with it.

Attachments

• organizer.jpg
    organizer.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 416
Thanks so much rose!And every one! I will get one of those holders.....one thing I do is once I've rinsed the hose out....I attach it to the bipap and turn it on and in a few minutes the air blowing into it dries it out....then I can use it again. I wish I could get an xtra hose so I could just interchange them and let it dry out while I'm using the other one. I might check in to see how it would cost. I do need to get into a routine with this...sometimes I get so tired I put it off.... but I will get disciplined with this now.

I do not follow a strict routine, I make sure I wash the filter, and rinse the humidfier tank. I take nasal pillow mask apart every now and again and wash it in soapy water. I rinse the hoses occassionally. L is now using sleep weaver mask that Diane has mentioned and that will be washed weekly.

Dani

I rinse out the water resevoir and mask every day in the morning and let it air dry on a towel. Soapy water soak once a week for mask, resevoir, hose and filter.

I have been the CPAP cleaner for > 10y. I use only distilled water in it. I do not remove the reservoir at all, just use a funnel to add the distilled water. I replace the hose every 6 mo or so when it feels wilted, but I do not rinse or wash it. Once in a blue moon, I have to drain it. I wipe the mask when it's oily, with a CPAP wipe. I never clean the reservoir.

My PALS has had pneumonia once during this period, which he acquired in a hospital ICU after an aortic dissection.

Soap, vinegar and the like will degrade the material/coatings over time, as others have noted, and have the potential to trap bacteria/cause irritation. If external pathogens are not being introduced because you are only using distilled water, I don't see the point of using cleaning agents, esp. when you are likely rinsing with non-distilled water, which can introduce pathogens itself. Equipment mfrs, RTs and sleep techs promulgate the status quo maintenance "standards" that benefit DME companies, which I don't use for CPAP. Also, be aware that for some masks, you can buy replacement parts, such as mask cushions, more often a la carte (it's the mask cushion that breaks down, not the mask) and skip the pricier full mask replacement for years.

On another topic, for those struggling with nasal masks, esp. if you have a dry mouth, try a full face mask for sleeping. It may drastically improve your tolerance and the therapy's efficacy. If you are a mouth breather, it often is the best option for getting the full benefit.

Yes, only distilled water in the canister....but I do use distilled water and liquid joy soak 20 minutes and then rinse well with distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back