Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
in the
City
somewhere
I have been a textbook case. Yes, I have been diagnosed with ALS!

My question to those who have been diagnosed only is: once the muscle starts to atrophy and the fasciculations have begun, have any noticed the skin and wrinkles left behind? 9 months ago or so, I noticed the atrophy. 6 months or so, is when I noticed the fasciculations and recently I noticed the wrinkles and extra skin on my feet (around the inner part of both soles) and now slowly creeping up the leg!

I know I just turned 51; but if I look at my parents neither are like this. And I was never a sun goddess either! And my older and younget sisters aren't like this either. I know it could be an age issue but just wanted to be sure, before I run mu mouth off to the doc tor.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

With Much Love,

Kimberly
If anyone has an answer please let me know! I am going to neuro on

Kim, that sucks... was hoping they'd find something else for you! Guess we're all walking (or scootering) the same path. Could the wrinkles you're seeing be due to the lack of the muscle under the skin? I don't have much atrophy yet in my left leg, but it's definitely thinner if you compare them.
Love you.

Helen,

I am right handed and before I got the DVT's my left was bigger by about an inch. Now it's hard to tell but my left foot is an inch smaller than the right. I think that is exactly my problem: the muscle is going leaving behind the skin. Lindsay was the one who had noticed the fasciculations. I had gone to the Y to use the sauna and whirlpool and she was sitting behind me on the 2nd level and asked me what that was I my foot. At the next neuro appt. was when he said they were fasciculations.

Sometimes when I am laying in bed, I will just watch them. I think Ann was the one that told me once they are gone then no more nerves left in that area. But don't quote me on that, the mind isn't as sharp as it used to be!

Kimberly

Kimmy, I have lost the excess skin on my legs--where atrophy first attacked. I'm unable to see most of myself now, but yes, loss of muscle led to elephant wrinkles! Apparently, the wrinkles will lessen with time. I found it helpful to stay away from mirrors!

Ann. That one was priceless. We went somewhere and my kids thought I had pantyhose on and stopped pushing me to slide them up. The look on their faces I will always remember!

Now can I say; but, I don't want elephant wrinkles!

Kimberly

Sweet Kim,
I have wrinkles all over my arms and legs,one year ago today I was doing weight lifting five days a week,at 67 I was so proud of my body and the work I had done,With the treadmill and excersize I had lost 40 lbs in one year.-------------Hugs Ken-----

WOW, Ken and you had a great tan to go with it. Remember I have some pics of yours you may not want published! LOL. Is it too late for me to get divorced and come move in with you? I know you have a girlfriend. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Kimberly,

My mom has wrinkles where the muscles have atrophied. They are pretty extensive now. Like Ann recommended...stay away from mirrors.

Laura

Laura,

Thanks there are 3 mirrors in our house 2 in the upper bathrooms: forbidden area for me.
And the other is in my 11 year old diva's, I mean daughter's room: also upstairs. I found that no mirrors are the best years ago. I mean you brush your teeth, brush your hair and put on make-up(not me) and one day I looked at myself and really saw myself for the first time in a looong time! My response was, "where did I go and what happened to me?". Mirrors are a rude awakening!

Kimberly

I am so sorry, Allen. I was hoping to get some trolls spilling their guts out for you to attack! All is quiet for now....we will just have to wait and see on one of theirs.

Thanks for all the help! I just wanted to give Allen something to do. I love him dearly!

Much Love to All.

Kimberly

This place wouldn't be what it is without Allen. I still remember when I first came here how mean I thought he was. Now, he's one of my favorite people here.

I applaud him for this tireless efforts on behalf of this forum--he should be next in line to be a moderator. The trolls wouldn't know it, but he's one of the most caring folks here. Shh...now, we can't use his nickname in this thread or the trolls will figure it out!

I use the wrinkles in my atrophied hand to show my students what to do to 'tent' the skin to check for dehydration. I explain that what they're seeing in my hand isn't from dehydration--but it looks the same in that particular tent test :) Hey, if you can't make the most out of the things going on....

Thanks; Patty,

and I have missed you. I tried putting it out to catch some of the unwanted and no bites, not even a nibble! Maybe I should havisted some weird symptoms and they would have coming. Maybe Allen finally scared them off. It usually works for a little while, but then they slowly come out.

I have a big day today, my daughter Lindsay is taking me to Charleston to the clinic. Have some new symptoms and d r. Has hastened the pace to see me. They called last Tuesday and wanted me to come in that Wednesday! But I told them a 3 hr drive reuires more than 1 day notice! So a week later; sure hope it's nothing bad. Ha, my choice of words was terrible there!

Thanks, for supporting Allen! He is one that I admire!

Much Love to You,

Kimberly

Kimmie,
Great idea honoring Allen! I agree with Patty's idea of having him as the next moderator named. He's a knowledgeable, caring man.
I must say that sometimes when I'm feeling a bit low, I look for one of Allen's replies to a troll. Perks me right up every time!

Hey, girls, you starting an Allen fan club. I hear him chuckling.....................Or groaning, no sure which?

Yes, have you noticed he's suspiciously absent from this thread? Actually, haven't seen but a few posts from him in the last little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back