Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
MA
City
Watertown
Forgive me if this is a silly question ... and, of course, i could/would ask my primary care physician before doing anything.

But, can anyone confirm for me that there's no problem for me getting a flu shot? I just want to confirm no bad reaction given that I take Rilutek and am scheduled to start the NP001 trial in just 10 days.

Anyone with good info would be appreciated.

Nothing I know of. I got a flu shot last week. On dex trial no ruletek.

where are you starting your trial at Kelley? We sure were wanting to get my husband in that trial, but because of the feeding tube, he was not able to get in...Good luck!

Ask the trial dr if you should get a flu shot. I'm in the study and asked the study dr (who is also my neurologist). He wasn't sure and was going to check with the other study docs so that they could come up with a recommendation for everyone participating. I haven't heard anything yet.

It's not a silly question. It was recommended to Bob and the family to get immunized against both flu and pneumonia. We did get the shots - quite safely.

Yes get it, however when getting flu shots for family members, do not let them get the nasal mist ones. Supposedly, it is easier to transfer the virus if you get the nasal flu vaccine.

Hi Sadie. Where did you hear that nasal spray stuff? Is it an internet rumor or can you give us a link for an article? We don't want trfogey jumping us for spreading false information on the net. lol.

AL

Not silly, but check with trial doc and get both flu and pneumonia shots

I think they don't recommend children, elderly, and anyone with impaired immune systems to take the spray.... not sure where I heard that either.

Al, I read it on here from Kay Marie 2 yrs ago. Also talked to my doc about it then. The virus in the nasal flu mist is a live virus, that could possibly be harmful to weakened individuals. I'll add KayMaries discussion of this if I can find it. HUGS Lori Here it the link, I believe that H1N1 is in all the flu shots now. It totally sucks re reading these old threads. So many gone. :(

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/als-research-news/9786-h1n1-alert-please-read.html

Last edited:
Definitely do not have it until you have checked with the trial doctor first. It would be terrible to be bumped off the study.
A quick phone call should do. Usually flu shots are allowed on the studies I work with, but it's always a question that comes up at the start of a study. It never seems to be included in the protocol and I usually have to send in a medical review form to get an answer for my trial patients.

Hi Sadie. Where did you hear that nasal spray stuff? Is it an internet rumor or can you give us a link for an article? We don't want trfogey jumping us for spreading false information on the net. lol.

AL

Al, I never jump you for spreading false information on the Internet. Some of the other posters here, yes, but not you.

Mainly because you don't do it. :wink:

The risk of live virus vaccines to people who are potentially immune-compromised are well known. And, introducing a live influenza virus into the upper respiratory tract of someone who is suffering from impaired respiratory function to start with seems a bit counterintuitive, doesn't it?

Who should not be vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)?

• People less than 2 years of age
  • People 50 years of age and over
  • People with a medical condition that places them at high risk for complications from influenza, including those with chronic heart or lung disease, such as asthma or reactive airways disease; people with medical conditions such as diabetes or kidney failure; or people with illnesses that weaken the immune system, or who take medications that can weaken the immune system.
  • Children <5 years old with a history of recurrent wheezing
  • Children or adolescents receiving aspirin
  • Pregnant women
  • People who have a severe allergy to chicken eggs or who are allergic to any of the nasal spray vaccine components.
  • People with a history of Guillain–Barré Syndrome (a severe paralytic illness, also called GBS) that occurred after receiving influenza vaccine and who are not at risk for severe illness from influenza should generally not receive vaccine. Tell your doctor if you ever had Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Your doctor will help you decide whether the vaccine is recommended for you.

From the official CDC Q & A about the nasal spray flu vaccine.

Sorry tr, shouldn't have used us. I usually have my facts straight or I say nothing.

AL.

Of course consult your Dr's but yes typically they recommend ALS patients to receive both flu and pneumonia shots. Pneumonia is only once every four years.

Trfogey is definitely correct as his facts support about introducing a live virus to a compromised immune system. I have to take immune supressing drugs because of the stem cell trial and was advised against allowing my kids, my wife or myself from receive the mist due to it being a live virus.

Sorry tr, shouldn't have used us. I usually have my facts straight or I say nothing.

AL.

I know that, Al. In all the times that I have chased crazy references back into the archives to find where some of the bizarre tales from this site get started, I've never found an instance where you didn't try to get the accurate information out if you were aware of the controversy.

Never. Not once. No matter how much static you took from the members. Anybody that doesn't believe me needs only to look up "Eric Edney" or "Eric is Winning" in the archives, because Al has taken some brutal attacks over the years on that subject.

And, for the record, whenever I say that the archives of this site have contributed to the ALS misinformation problem on the Internet, the problem would have been much worse if you and David and the other admins over the years, as well as the longtime members such as Wright, hopingforcure, BethU, rose, and the others who tried to help folks in the "Do I Have ALS?" forum hadn't been as stalwart and as honest as you were. There simply weren't enough of you good guys to catch and refute all the nonsense that got put up on the board in the early days of that forum. The pile was too deep and there just weren't enough hands willing to pick up the shovel and dig.

One of those things that never seems to change, eh?

Finally, I know there are some things that David does or wants done that you don't agree with, but go along with to keep the peace. I may gripe about them, but I never question your sincerity in wanting this to be a great and useful community.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back