Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Near DC
For the past year, I have had nausea in the morning. Sometimes it is mild, but lately it is getting progressively worse. I have dry heaves every morning. The nausea continues throughout the day but is very bad first thing in the morning. I am hungry all the time because I don't feel like eating.

I have complained about this at the ALS clinic but they say ALS patients don't have nausea.

I do not have a feeding tube.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

Thanks. :roll:

Could be reflux. Some things to try: Prop your head up when you sleep, don't eat right before bed, and a trial of Prilosec.

Are you using a BiPAP when you are sleeping? If not, you might need one. If you do, you might need your pressures adjusted.

Are you having regular BM's?

I am not constipated or having other BM issues. Other than my not having much go through me. I hardly eat any more. I feel myself getting weaker from not eating.

I have a little bit of acid reflux so it might be that. Or it could be that I don't use my BiPAP. I cannot put it on myself and don't always have help at home at night. I have to work on that issue.

Thanks everybody.

I would suggest getting anti-nausea meds. Not eating for a long period of time can make you feel this way alone. More acid in the stomach because of the lack of food. Are you able to drink yet? Have you tried nutritional drinks with high calories?

Hey Lobster;

My husband uses dronabinol which can help with nausea(chemo patients are known to take it), also helps increase appetite(perscribed for anorexia), helps control the saliva and eases spasticy(per my husband's experience but there is also documentation), and general comfort. Pot in a pill. Had a difficult time acquiring it with insurance but hospice covered it.

It may be worth discussing with your doctor.

"I have complained about this at the ALS clinic but they say ALS patients don't have nausea."

On the contrary, if you are an ALS patient with weak respiratory muscles you are likely to experience nausea. This usually happens to my partner AFTER eating, and he can eat only small quantities at a time. His consultant advised that nausea in his case was linked to respiratory issues. He did explained the 'mechanics' of it, unfortunately I am unable to replicate here. Dani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back