Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
OS
State
Darkside of Moon
City
country
Ok, My D X started with leg onset, walking not much now, using wheelchair when out. Lately my arms and hands have been locking up alot lately in all kinds of different positions, spazing out I call it. It is beginning to scare me as I have to wait till they unlock slowly or if is one hand I use the other the manually move the spaze out to get them to move. I often have to ask for help if it is my whole arm does it and gets stuck in an awkward position. Does this sound familiar to any one? Is this the beginning of my arms and hands now going down hill?
It has been especially difficult using hands at the supermarket where it is very cold in store, thinking this makes it worse. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I know we are all different in progression. Thanks

My hands and arms do this too. In fact I locked up my hand today trying to cut my food. My husband had to massage it for me. My als stated in my right hand though. I have learned some positions that I can't do so it doesn't happen as much.

Yes, I had similar nasty cramps in my hands and forearms once the progression really got underway. Saw the joints in the bases of my fingers and my wrists get locked in positions that I didn't know were anatomically possible without injuring something.

Sounds like it's time for some anti-spasmodics for you. You might want to ask your neuro about baclofen or for an increased dose if you are already taking baclofen. Other muscle relaxers may also help, but be careful with them as most of them are respiratory depressants as well.

Thanks llwlpn and trfogey,
I do take valuimn for the cramping & spasms but try not to take it when I go out as I get too weak. Sorry you both experience it also. Thinkin my arms are now officially involved also..... On a lighter note once while in public my one hand spazzed in that not so nice middle finger straight up while others curled jesture so I had to hide it real quick as not to offend anyone...:)

Diane I'm sorry hon, but the bird finger made me smile..

It happens to me too Diane. When I cut food or get dressed. I take Magnesium and it helps.

Me too Babe. Also, my right hand middle finger seems just fine. ;)

i get these too, are you getting plenty range of motion exercises? i find this greatly reduces the spazzes for me. good luck

Besides a bit of left leg weakness my onset has been in my arms. Have not had any cramps just the continuing loss of being unable to raise my arms and grip things. The loss of hands and arms is particularly frustrating because my husband has to do most everything for me so soon in my diagnoses. I think it is so hard for the caregivers.

So sorry, Island Gal that this has started for you. Hugs and love to you.

Thanks all. That incident made me laugh to Joni, I will try magnesium susan, and the range of motion exercises I have heard others speak of but have not been told buy docs, I will look into that. Sorry about your arms Magpuff , but I am sure your hubby loves you so much he would lasso the moon for you if needed.

Love ya All, Mahalo

My arms were the first to go. I was falling a lot and thought it had to do with my legs. I went in to see the doctor for my falling and to check out my legs, but it seems that because my arms were hanging funny at my side my balance was affected and the falls were not due to my legs weakening but rather due to my arms.

I can no longer raise my arms or my hands off of my lap. At night I can't pull my own covers up and have trouble rolling over without one of the arms hanging onto my back. My hands and fingers do make funny gestures and I have gotten finger braces to wear on my fingers to keep them in place. You may want to ask your OT about braces. They are flashing color and hardly noticeable at first glance.

I range of motion exercises every other day -- these are mostly because of my shoulders becoming dislocated. When my arms hanging at my side all the time the weight of my arms pulls my arms out of their sockets.

I am now using a wheelchair, however it is more because of my loss of balance than weakness in my legs. It is terribly frustrating since there is nothing that I can do with past help since neither arm moves. For the past year I have had to have help with everything.

Diane
I am so sorry about your arms, thank you for sharing with me your story. I thought when my arms and hands started to go it would be slow and silent, slowly just weakening. They are weak but now this spazzing, but now that I think back I had cramping before I lost the use of my left foot but no more cramping as muscle in calf is atrophied, now can only move big toe on right it stll cramps. I do remember JoelC telling me to embrace the cramps cause once the stop usually that means the muscle is gone. I will look into the braces atleast when I go out to help out with not having embarcing moments. Thanks, Love ya ((HUG))

No cramps before my arms atrophied but lots of crazy fasciculations. And you are right Ladyinn, the twitching and jumping goes away after those nerves have finished destroying those muscles Without your arms and hands you are really helpless to assist with your own care Sad and depressing. I hate this ugly disease..

Magpuff, My whole body has crazy fasciculations also, drives me nuts. Not at all looking towards the day theyarms&hands stop all together but all of you hear have been so helpful in preparing me for what has and is to come. Together we can make it.
I totally agree with you, IT plain ol stinks, I hate, hate it also.. And it does help to say it or type it...or scream it!

With me, the more I know about the progression (as horrible as it is) the less afraid I am.

It also helps that we are not alone. Thanks to all of you out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back