Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Southborough
And I'm trying to remember if it's good or bad to hear the static noise in the different muscles? My neuro isn't conducting this – so I can't bug him to tell me – and I sort of want to know if it has spread into my arms or not without waiting for the official results... :)

Anyone know what to listen for? Thanks!

Most likely, you won't be able to draw any conclusion from the noise. Any electrical impulse of the same general shape and amplitude will make noises that are so similar that no one could tell them apart by sound. It's the waveform and shape that holds the information, not the noise made when you hook those currents to a speaker. If there's noise, there's current flowing. No noise -- no current flowing. You decide which you'd rather think about.

Personally, I'd ignore it. As nearly as I can tell, the noise is meant to be an audio indication that the needle has been placed in the correct place. Don't want somebody probing tender flesh with a sharp object to keep looking away from his target to make sure that he's actually getting the information that he's trying to get.

You may feel differently, but that's my $0.02 US. The best indication of whether or not ALS has spread to your arms is any new weakness you've found there during the past few weeks and months.

trfogey, you're up pretty late! Thanks for the info, I knew one of you guys would have the info.

I don't seem to have any new weakness in my arms, but they're starting to cramp at times which is worrisome to me.

Guess I'll listen to my mp3 player instead of the static sounds :)

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back