Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
CA
City
Roseville
Hello my wonderful PALS and CALS! Hope this missive finds you all well, happy, and dry (for those in the east).

I have a question regarding changes. My husband is now slurring his words. Of course it is worse when he is tired. The doctor referred him to a speech therapist (or pathologist..not sure) but he is unwilling to go. His take on it, and I can't blame him, is why should I go? Of course I think, hey, we should go and see if there are some tips or tricks we can learn. He poo-poos this. If you have had experience with this, do you have any advice? Was it worth it to go, or a waste of time?

My other concern, that I have talked with him about for months (did I mention he is stubborn?) is his cough. Again, it is worse when he is tired. It is a dry cough and almost resembles what happens when you are trying to catch your breath, and you cough. (Hope that makes sense.) I am worried that this could be a symptom of something we are missing. Again, he says it is allergies and won't discuss it with his neuro. Any input on similar symptoms?

In a perfect world, I would be able to go to every appointment. but I can't and must rely on him to ask all the things I want asked. Even when I write them down, I don't get all the answers.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and obviously, I appreciate your invaluable input.

Have a good afternoon!
love and light
Meg

he has to have a speech pathologist do the papers to get his speech augmentation device. It can take weeks aand months to get one kinda like the chair. Put it to him this way go to get one ordered if he doesn't use it someone who needs it will, he will help someone else who can't get one perhaps if he refuses to use it. But at least get it ordered perhaps he'll use it. If not give it to someone who will. Eye gaze is best, gives him a lot of time to adapt to it.

Also if you ask him he will prolly say, "I just can't seem to clear my throat, its stuck " He's beginning Bulbar weakness. Mom saw a speach therapist, she had her do things like repeat vowels over n over, I don't see how it helped anything, by the time she exercised her mouth in stretches and vowels she was exhausted and couldn't say anythiing. But the pathologist is an important appointment.

I went to a speech therapist, and saw one at the clinic and there is really nothing they can do. No tricks but I did learn a couple things. When and if he begins having swallowing troubles he needs to tuck his chin into his chest and swallow, it helps close off the airway. Putting your tongue between your teeth and swallowing is another way to help close the airway when swallowing. Careful of that one.
I forget what it is called pharengial spasms maybe? Your throat, larnyx closes I learned how to breath in through the nose and out the mouth to help get rid of that. It takes some practice to relax the muscles while doing it but it does work for me.
I am using an apple Ipad for speech now so didnt need a script for that so I dont know how all that works. Good luck.

bruce saw a speech therapist for several weeks usually twice a week. i don't think it really helped him, but they can help him to get the dynavox, and show him some tips on swallowing and all. he also does that coughing and choking bad. We go to Emory tomorrow, going to ask Dr. Glass about it.

Michael Bruce has an Ipad, a speech program installed, but did you get any speakers to go with yours? Maybe it is because he always has the TV on so loud, but the ipad is pretty low.

I started with a very inexpensive speech program. Nobody could hear it. I bought proloque and the volume is some better. I havent bought speakers yet but have talked about it.

I am a former Speech Therapist and there is little to be done about the speech. More emphasis is put on how to swallow safely.

Hey that's what I said lol

I started with speech problems. Saw a therapist & the main focus was on physical aids. No mention of tips or partial remedies. No hints on making speech or swallowing easier. Largely a waste of time in that regard. So it's up to me to do the best I can with what's left of my voice. Not ready for fancy physical aids yet.

My mom didn't go to the speech therapist either. She did get a computer from our local ALS foundation that would say phrases and things for her, but now she refuses to use it because it "takes too long."

My mom won't do anything that's been suggested to help her, so I understand.

If you two have talked about medical POA (a necessary evil, I'm afraid) perhaps you could send an email to the doc about the cough issue? How are his FVC numbers?

I agree on the idea of perhaps letting him know it will help him get some needed equipment soon enough to learn how to use it all.

For those iPad users, a free program, Verbally, works pretty well. On my iPad, it's pretty loud.

I seen an augmentive speech therapist and a neurological speech therapist. They really cant help you with the speech. The augmentive therapist is really only for a speech device. I suggest that you go as it took me 18 months to get eyemax.

The neurological therapist for the most part only makes sure your swallow is intact. If not, she will most likely do a barium swallow test to make sure the windpipe is being protected. I suggest you do both and make a decision from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back