Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Hello every one! I am scheduled to get the peg on the 19th at 9:45 am. I was trying to find on the threads where someone said that I should ask for a medication to help with cramping, but I could not find it. Of course i get lost in a parking lot so this is no surprise!:lol:
Any advice on what to ask for would be helpful....

I wish I would have asked for pain meds. It was pretty sore for about a week after the insertion.

I haven't broached the subject with any of my doctors yet but probably should soon. Keep me posted as to how you're doing! Good luck Sweets!

Last edited:
My advice is if they want to keep you overnite, DO IT! Also, do not eat a lot by mouth for the first 24- 48 hrs. Do a bland diet. My husband can still not eat meatloaf, as that is what he ate 6 hrs after the installation of the PEG, and the pain he felt was a 20 on a scale of 1-10! Do not be alarmed if when you open the tube stuff leaks out. And get pain meds! Good Luck! HUGS Lori

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/people-als-pals/1261-what-feeding-tube.html

Last edited:
Goodluck hope all goes well xxx Ang

Any advice on what to ask for would be helpful....

Pain killers for sure, but make sure you chase those down with a stool softener. Don't do the former without the latter.

Don't let them tell you they will send you home with a prescription. Tell them you want to fill your prescriptions BEFORE the procedure. You are not going to want to stand in line at the pharmacy afterward. I don't mean to scare you. Even if the procedure goes fabulously well, the stress will wear you down and you want to get home as soon as possible.

8)

Good luck Sequoia, haven't gone there yet myself so I'll have to take notes I guess. Including you in my prayers, and I also recommend the pain meds!

My husband's went very smoothly except for the fact that the swelling caused the stopper to get tight. That is really the only pain he had, and it was easily remedied by loosening it. He really didn't use any pain medicine, but we had it there just in case.

Hi Sequoia,
I am scheduled for my PEG on the 18th at noon. I requested that I be allowed to stay overnight and my doctor agreed. I haven't seen anything here on the forum about cramping but I am going to ask the doctor now that you mentioned it on here. I will say a prayer for you that you have an easy recovery and everything goes well. I know I am really nervous and it sure makes this whole beast very real. God is good and I trust He will see us through. Take care.
Blessings,
Linda

I'll keep you in prayer then sequoia!

Thanks everybody....I have so much support here at the forum, you all mean the world to me! You give me courage. Because my breathing laying down is at 43% they are a little worried about using the stuff to put me out. The doc yesterday said that if my breathing gives me trouble they will stop the procedure and work on that....that made me a little worried. Anybody have FVC at 43% and had the peg without any problems?

Sequoia,

You might ask if your head and torso can be elevated a bit, that might very well be possible and make you feel more at ease. Sometimes it just takes asking the right questions. When I had my spinal tap, they did it with me sitting on a stool, leaning over the table, rather than laying flat. Good luck to both you, and to Linda. 8)

my fvc was worse. i took my bipap with me and had it on during the operation. no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back