PALS
Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
US
State
Ks
City
I understand this may be/seem like a personal thing so I guess I'm looking for ideas opinions and advice.
I was thinking of trying to write letters to my kids for times in their lives when they need to hear from me. I'm not sure what subjects, what to say. or if it is even a good idea? Maybe it is better to morn and be done. Will it do more harm than good?

Any opinion would be appreciated.

Hi Michael,
I think its a lovely personal touch, It will probably help you too and something that they can keep and go back to time and time again. Its so much easier to write things down. Once you have written them you will know if it feels right to give them or not. I hope I've helped xx Ang

I think this is a wonderful idea. I think they will love knowing what you would say on certain subjects and cherish your letters to each of them. You sound like a very special man.

Take care.

When I had the diagnosis hanging over my head, I was going to get videos made for each important occasion in my childrens lives, graduation, weddings, grandchildren etc. I new it would be hard, but with a good person on the video, I was sure in time I would get it done. It would have also allowed them to hear my voice.
I spent half a day with a man who had had PLS for 8 years. He was barely audible and very disabled, now it's got me thinking, that if my condition progresses then I will still go ahead, then even though I could well be still alive, they could hear my voice, if it became affected.
It's a brilliant idea Michael, everyone should do it. People can grieve, but it does not mean that you will be, or should be forgotten, especially where your children are concerned. They are you, living on, they need to know who where there spirit and strength comes from.
Love Aly

I agree with the others. I'd have cherished a letter from my mother on my wedding day--or on the day my daughter was born. Personally, if I ever get diagnosed with anything that will affect my speech--I'm going to do tapes so they can see them. (well, CDs)

I have nothing left of my mother--nothing at all--and I still, to this day, wish I did.

Great idea! There are many things you could do a video for- depending on their ages...
getting drivers licenses, graduating HS and College, marriage, kids, first time getting arrested (thats a joke- sorta), anything really.
Maybe you could start out with an "intro" tape and sort of get all the emotional sadness stuff out of the way so not all of the videos will be sad. Just a suggestion.

Michael,
IT IS A WONDERFUL IDEA! My sister is doing something similar for her granddaughter who is not yet 3 years old. They are making memories so that her granddaughter can see how much she was cherished by her "gramma". I believe that all of the replies so far have been positive. As I am typing at my laptop on my desk, I can see one of the birthday cards my mother (she passed away 6 years ago) sent to me in her handwriting which is so familiar and so cherished. I have that card on the cork board so I smile when I see it most every day. Hope this inspires you to tell what is in your heart to your family. It will be such a blessing to them. Love you, Michael... Kaye

A fantastic idea Michael.....just write from the heart. Tell them how much you love them, and how special they are, their talents, ect..how proud you are of them, that you believe in them. I once heard that this was done at a summer camp...parents wrote the letters to their kids, and the kids read them....

Michael, I absolutely agree. I typed a long letter to Phil, which a friend is holding for him when I'm gone. I feel sure your family will treasure having your words on paper.

Michael,
That's a great idea. I bought a Flip video to record events.
I'm going to write birthday cards for her until she is 21. Also a wedding card. I hope I'm still here to see it :)

I don't know what your children status is, but how about recording (either audio or video) yourself reading books for them or, depending on their ages, your potential grandkids? I know they even make some kid books with a recording device built into the book!

Michael, I agree with all of the "thumbs up" replies you've gotten. I have been my mom's primary caregiver for over two years now. Sadly--for me--she is very close to the end of her journey on this earth. My mom has seven children. A long while back, she gave me six envelopes with the names of my siblings on them. They are to be given to them after she passes. I don't know if there is one for me...but I sure hope so. I would cherish anything she wanted to say to me.

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back