Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
On Tuesday we will celebrate Bugger’s first birthday! (less a cause for celebration is the expiry of my power chair’s warranty, somewhat sobering given that we have already had two new motors and two new batteries).

My primary fascination a year ago was to discover just how far afield Bugger and I could venture; with and without the aid of public transport. To my delight I discovered we could go a long, long way. Unaided we could manage some 15km on the footpaths, roads and riverside cycle tracks of our city. With a little push from a train we once ventured 1107 km from home!

A new fascination has taken root in recent times. Rather than simple mileage; my goal has become ‘conversational complexity’. The object of this game is to accomplish increasingly intricate public transactions, and the single rule of the game is that no word can be spoken by me. When I initially found the need to engage shop assistants, bus drivers and the like in word-free dialogue I was embarrassed and daunted. I am still a little embarrassed today, but my overriding experience is delight. I find people are universally happy to adapt to the rules of my world; and with their help I have graduated from buying bus tickets to purchasing clothes and appliances (that was particularly good: I purchased a television and even carried it home on the bus!), registering vehicles, sourcing support, establishing bank loans, engaging solicitors, right up to the crowning achievement of buying a home!

The Cone of Silence is addictive. First I flash my laminated “Sorry, no voice” card, and then I flourish my NetBook computer, or perhaps my iPhone, and as I type an aura of concentration descends. The mastery of technique required by both parties can be intense, and a hush absorbs us until all worldly distractions retreat from the transcendental encounter taking place across the counter top. I enjoy these moments immensely. Pressing through nerves and anxiety about my typing skills, a tangible, intimate connection emerges. It’s almost sacred. Francis of Assisi described every meeting between one human and another as a sacrament; an encounter between the sons and daughters of God. The public and I become co-conspirators, engaged in a clandestine operation to defeat the demons of disability! The run-of-the-mill dealings in my former able-bodied life were humdrum and impersonal compared to this!

Cone of Silence.jpg
Another 'Cone of Silence'

The Cone of Silence is a joyful place!

Joyful... except when I am alone in the Cone. While ever the Cone is a place of shared dialogue it is an enthralling haven of human touch. But when the Cone descends on me alone I taste its powerful secrets of privacy and isolation in a very different sense. Language and culture are so closely aligned as to be almost synonymous. Our choice of words and manner of speech define ‘us’, and their absence is debilitating. This other, unwelcome Cone of Silence sometimes traps me in the midst of a group of people busily sharing their worlds and lives with each other. It catches me by surprise in shopping centres and on busy streets, in parks and even in my own living room, or – perhaps worst of all – in our church. Robbed of the tools of society I sometimes feel I am inexorably drifting away from society itself. I remember a group of deaf people who once joined our church. They joined us, but they stayed apart as well. Their adept skill with sign language allowed them to inhabit a different physical space to the rest of us. Almost a different dimension in fact. In the noisy bustle of after-church coffee we able-bods required personal proximity to conduct our chatter. You have to get close to be heard. But our deaf friends lived under no such constraints: they could quite happily form a tight-knit group by signing from the four corners of the room. Nobody, neither them nor us, wanted a “them and us” world – but nobody could completely cross the divide either. We had to embrace our difference, and to some degree remain in our differing worlds.

I’ve yet to meet anyone who speaks my language, or shares my singular culture. Or, to put it another way, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t speak the language I used to speak the way I don’t speak it any more! I whisper sometimes, and manage the odd soft word; but the spontaneity, the depth of conversation – it’s all gone. This Cone of Silence, the alienating, inhibiting, frustrating, sorrowful Cone of Silence; is one I could happily forsake.

I don’t recall that I have ever entered The Cone when I am truly alone. In solitude there is another, altogether better Silence that I am learning to hear; as if for the first time in my life. Here in Paradise this Silence is enhanced by the sights and smells and even the sounds of the bush. But rich Silence is not confined to pleasant surrounds. It is something that dwells within, and is unmistakably spiritual. I am reminded of the Hebrew name of God which could be written in a contracted, code-like form, but never, ever spoken. Strangely enough, Silence answers the questions I am reluctant to ask. This Silence is not one that I would have chosen, except in a moment of introspection or prayer; but the Silence is befriending me none the less. And that’s not all bad.

Hello Roderick...I just want to be the first to say that this is magnificent...it expresses so much that is in my thoughts and heart, and nicely balanced between the fear of isolation and the Hope of turning it into a lovely solitude. I think that fear of being alone in term of having no choice about it, is the one thing that all human beings fear the most. But when we confront our fears, and decide to turn them into something good, by adjusting our thoughts to the positive treasures we can discover...it makes a world of difference. The one thing i believe is we really are never alone or separated, unless we think we are. In the monastery, in deep solitude and silence, I have had experiences of being one with all living things. But nothing was more profound then the day I got my diagnoses. Remember my blog about this? Because I knew I was facing the end of my life, it made everything so profound...more so then years in a monastery! Hidden treasures are to be found beneath each of our fears.
Keep digging and sharing these discoveries with all of us. You are so gifted with word....

Roderick,
Thank you for a beautifully written description. I'm not there yet, but your words make the cone of silence a much less frightening place.
Thanks again!

Awesome Roderick! As per usual. This one is exceptional though. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Very well written, it expresses what each of who are speech affected feel.

Another enjoyable read, Roderick! Thank you!

Thany you Roderick to the truley amazing insite you give to all!..:)

.... Hidden treasures are to be found beneath each of our fears ....

That is a gem Sharon.

To each of you, thank you for your comments. It is such a thrill to read your words and find in them a confirmation that my experience is by no means unique. I feel surrounded by friends, travelling a path that we all find strange, but which is familiar to each other.

Roderick,
Thank you for a beautifully written description. I'm not there yet, but your words make the cone of silence a much less frightening place.
Thanks again!

Yes, it doesn't need to be only frightenning. There is fear, but there are other things to experience also, don't you think? Nothing that has happened to me in these three years has been anywhere near as awful as I had feared. Especially wheelchairs - I had such a dread of them, but they have turned out to be great friends.

Thanks for this. I'll be listening :)

Are you collecting your inspirations into a journal? Do you think it could become a book? You are a truly gifted wordsmith and I would buy one just because there would be gems like this scattered all through.
I am going to ponder your words for a while now, they deserve all of that and more. Thank you for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back