Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
Kerrville
Hello!
My name is Annie and I have been watching my mother struggle with ALS since her diagnosis in 2004. Her form of ALS develops very slowly and It has been extremely difficult watching her and my family go through such an horrific ordeal. My mothers long and agonizing struggle with ALS is coming to an end so I recently decided to take a semester off from college to be with her and comfort her. This may sound selfish, but it was very hard for me to leave the escape that I had built for myself at school. Even though my family has lived with this disease for seven years I still have a hard time accepting it. Rather, I want to run away from it and cannot believe that this is real and that something so horrific can even exsist and destroy so many lives. I have extreme anxiety over what is to come and how my family members are going to cope with the loss of my mother. I am hoping by expressing what I am going through with others who understand will make me find the bravery to not only be strong for my mother but for my family as well.

Hi Annie...You are braver than you think, and not wanting to accept this is perfectly normal. This is without a doubt not easy. We all welcome you with open arms. Nobody can remotely relate to this disease unless it happens to them or a loved one. We all understand each emotion you've had to bare, as well as your Mom. Lean on us...We won't let you fall.

Your Mother has courage and strength beyond measure to have endured this for so long, and I would bet you are just like her. Sit with her and flip through photos, or recall funny memories. She would love that. It will be therapeutic for you too. Talk to her about your future plans, and don't let the opportunity pass to tell her how much you love her. Your love for her is evident because you reached out for help. We are here for you...Any question, concern or if you just need a shoulder we will help you through.

Sending BIG HUGS to you all

Hi Annie,
I don't have anything to add to the excellent words above by twinmommie72. I simply want you to know that I'm one more person you can lean on. I'm now battling this disease myself, but as a teen I also watched an Aunt very close to me go through this. As said above, you are stronger than you think. You also chose the right place to reach out. This is an amazing, supportive forum family.

Hugs to you and your family!

Yes, it's terrible. Our dear friend Twinmommie72 is right on. You're a wonderful daughter.
Sending love to you and yours.

Yet another person to lean on in your times of distress! :) We are all here for you of course during any time that you need us. Please feel free to rant, rave, ask for advice, or anything that comes to your mind as you go through the last stages with your mother. Welcome and please k.i.t. with your mother's progress and your well being as well. You may find the thread "CALS" or Caregiver's for people with ALS especially helpful for any questions you may have as well.

Thank you all for your kindness! This means a whole heck of a lot to me!

Hello Annie, welcome to the Forum Family, that's what i call this forum, because it is so loving and supportive. Nobody wants to face this disease...including me, and I have it. A bit of denial is a heavenly thing now and then. Take good care of yourself... do things that relax you, go for a walk in the park, get a massage, talk to a counselor or a friend...You are BRAVE because you have chosen to give up your escape in order to be there for your mom. That is sacrificial love, unconditional love...It gives me chills to know that there are people like you willing to go all the way with someone who has ALS. This is heroic! I will keep you and your mom and all your family in my prayers. (((HUGS)))

Hang in there! What a wonderful, caring daughter you are! We are here for you.

Hi Annie welcome to our family, hopefully we can be of some help:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back