04/2011
Country
US
State
MA
City
Hull
Hi everyone,

I've written an email to send to the people at work. I want to run it by you first. Suggestions on additions or deletions are welcome. Here goes:

A couple of anniversaries

A long time ago the baseball legend Lou Gehrig stepped up to the microphone in Yankee Stadium and gave his farewell speech on July 4, 1939. It’s more than likely that you’ve either seen a film clip or heard an audio clip from that day. To support his claim of being the luckiest man alive he pointed out his good fortune to have worked with a great bunch and although I never gave a lot of thought to his words; today I know what he meant.

A long time ago I began this job working for Boston Edison. Although it seems like yesterday it has been nearly twenty years since I started my NSTAR career and this might be my farewell speech. I know that many of you have already been here for twenty years or more, but I am struggling to make that milestone. The anniversary is still a few days away and it will pass just like any other work day, but it will be one of my last days in the office.

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease) and since I won’t be here to ask for your help later I want to plant the seed now. Over the summer there’s a chance you will run into a local fire department holding their annual “Fill the Boot” campaign. The money they collect goes to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. The MDA does good things with this money such as funding research into curing neurological diseases and helping people cope with these diseases.

Another annual fundraiser for the MDA is the Labor Day Telethon. Back when I was a kid we didn’t have but three stations on the tv and this telethon was on all three stations all weekend long replacing all the great morning cartoons. Let’s just say I wasn’t a big fan of the telethon. And let’s also say that now that I’ve seen the light I now see the need for the telethon.

I’ve known the people who work for NSTAR to be a kind and generous bunch and
like I said – I’m only trying to plant a seed. Maybe you’ll help fill the boot. Maybe you’ll make a Labor Day pledge. Maybe you’ll make a difference.

Joe

Looks good to me. Good luck.

AL

Sounds wonderful, very articulate and to the point! Good for you!

Great job! Good luck!

Gives me some ideas for telling my work. Thank you...looks wonderful, gives a nice history of the disease and says what your future is with it too. Great job!

Very well done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back