Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I was able to spend some quality time with my younger son today. We caught enough fish to make it interesting and thanks to some very kind people, we were able to fish a private pond for bass and bream.

I noticed that my hands are less functional. Tying fishing knots is still possible, but takes patience. I can see that much patience will be needed in the upcoming months....

I can also see that even without the capacity to perform that the desire for physical activity will remain.

What do other Pals do to get rid of that extra anxiety and nervous energy when they cannot be mobile? Is medication the only outlet as we deteriorate?

I am afraid that I have skipped around within the stages of grieving. The Denial phase has been long lasting for me. As the symptoms become more severe, though, I can no longer avoid the presence and reality of this illness. I hope that the acceptance phase comes soon. This is a tough one. I appreciate that this community is here. It is a comfort.

This might belong in the Rants and Raves catagory? Thanks for letting me share my feelings.

Things that help me are driving my wheelchair outside, enjoying the backyard, and having friends and family around. Otherwise it's lots of tv, internet and movies. Acceptance is difficult because we need to keep accepting as our bodies continue to deteriorate and adapting is ongoing.
Keep fishing while you can. I know what you are experiencing.
My best to you,
Randy

Jerry, along with Randy's comments--which are very good--I want to suggest considering all the things you've been able to do in your life, making lists of the positives. It's often the small things, at least for me, that bring a smile as I remember. When you were a kid, what did you hope to do one day? Make a list of those things which you experienced.

My "Pollyanna" approach sounds silly, perhaps. Concentrating on what has been good has helped me greatly. The next "step" so to speak, is telling myself that "these ARE the Good Old Days". This isn't with a sense of despair, but rather with a desire to really appreciate what I have right now. All effort is helpful, even if every day is not easy.

I want you to know I stayed in denial also in the beginning. It was nice while it lasted, but unlike you I didn't actually do some of the things I wished later were taken care of. (my d x took forever and I thought I'd be healed from whatever was going on) I hope acceptance turns out to be a positive thing for you...you're probably not as far away as you fear--it may be just under the surface.

Jerry,

I know what you mean about finding something to do when you can’t do what you were used to doing. I also know about the bouncing from denial to acceptance. Both emotions can occur within the same day or even the same hour!

I, like Ann, try to remember with fondness all I did do in life and am sometimes amazed at all I did accomplish. I realize I have contributed to life and the community when I look back at the people who have been a part of my life. I count the people who have influenced me, and those who I may have influenced along the way.

I’ve bought a Kindle (can no longer hold a book to read) and am reading books I never took time to read before. I am watching movies I never watched and listening to the sounds of nature that I never heard. I still struggle with the fact of my new losses but they are not as many as the blessings I’ve enjoyed, and that helps me when I feel I am heading for a state of denial.

Currently, with the help of some girlfriends, I am going thru old photo albums, scanning photos and putting together a virtual scrapbook to put on a memory stick for each of my grandchildren . I am also working with a young computer software company on a wireless brain computer interface device that will be on the medical market nationwide by fall. This will allow people who can no longer speak and have no use of their arms to communicate just by thinking what they want to do on the computer. I feel fortunate to be asked to participate in this project since I am no techie!
Who would have “thunk it”. 

This forum is a big help – the people here, especially Ann, have given me so much help in finding peace with this demon of a disease.

Hope this lets you know you are not alone with moving between denial and acceptance. Live in the today- not the future and not the past.

{HUGS}

Diane

Thanks for the kind encouragement.

And thank you for sharing back.

- Jerry

Hi, Bad Balance,

Thanks for taking your son fishing its probably one of his best days he has had in a while. Kids love that! Just a hint, even though you are using the use of your hands and can't tie the knots things will get better. In Atlanta I know there are local bass fishing clubs that have fishing tournaments for kids check into that. Just google bass fishing clubs in your area. I'll bet you can get hooked up and have a great time. Besides that, I know, the clubs will take you and your son out fishing in their boats. Just remember, all you have to do is ask. :) I know if someone asked anybody or any club they would do it we're all fisherman.

As far as medication is concerned check with your doctor and he will help you out. As for the anxiety, I take citalpram to help with the depression and anxiety. It cuts down on the anxiety and no after effects for me, so far. I can still dream about fishing. Even when I get to the point where I can't talk I'll have my Dynavox to talk with and watch T.V. with (it even turns the T.V. on and off and changes the channel with eye control!) the Dynavox also speaks whatever I print with my eyes.

Hang tight because your son needs to go fishing with you. I can't fish anymore, but I sure can sit and watch him fish and have fun! That is better than fishing even.

If you need anything respond to my post or leave me a message. I'll see if I can help you.

FishingRod
Hope you catch a BIG one! :)

Thanks fishingrod:

Yes you are right, sometimes watching and making sure my son or my wife catch fish is more satisfying than my own fishing. I have a small flats boat and we intend to get out again sometime soon.

- Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back