Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
CA
State
Ont
City
Ottawa
anyone familiar with facial nerve pain? i've been having intermittent fine nerve pain in my face - diagonally down my right cheek, nothing to do with my teeth. is this part of my als? its quite painful. my dr. is looking into it.

thanks

Trigeminal neuralgia can cause extremely painful facial pain--usually just on one side. It's when the trigeminal nerve gets irritated--either by loss of the myelin sheath or rubbing against something.

Pain meds don't work for it. Drugs like Tegretol can help--of course I'm basing this on my own case. Mine, when it was bad, was excruciating. NO warning--just stabbing pain down my face.

I believe mine was caused by a bad tooth extraction--but that's my theory--not fact. It seems to be relatively common in MS.

I agree. I suffer from trigeminal neuralgia and also took Tegretol to relieve the pain. Thankfully, I rarely have symptoms anymore.

You may need a pain clinic, if it gets worse.

Are you spamming? What org to you work for? That is the 2nd post that is a repeat, verbatim. How that didn't go to the mod, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back