Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
HI
City
Hilo
I have a Cpap machine and it is hard to use. I don't want to through with a sleep study because i cant leave my house. Has anyone gotten a Bipap without going through with the sleep study? we dont have ALS clinics here either. Hospice will get me what i need, but i needd the "set of numbers" for the Bipap. I dont have a hard time breathing yet, any suggestions?

-mahealani

My husband got the BiPap without a sleep study. He had a CPap first. His numbers are 5/10.

The goal with bipap is to flush out Co2, and your settings will depend of how much assistance you require to push the air in and out. I would not like to be guessing the settings as they vary a great deal amongst people. My partner's are 18/2 which seems quite different to Missy's husband's 5/10.

Good luck. Dani

Is it possible for them to get blood gasses? He's on c-pap--what difficulty is he having with it?

There was debate between the sleep study people for me and with my ALS doc to decide if I needed bi-pap or c-pap. They decided to try c-pap first and see how my blood gasses look.

With muscle/diaphragm weakness, I was told that I should probably BE on bi-pap--both by folks here and my neuro--the pulmonary doc isn't so sure.

They can monitor 02 sats from home while he's sleeping--but that won't help them determine the co2--my understanding is blood gasses will, though. Respiratory therapists are taught to draw blood gasses. I have no idea if they can be done from home--they do need to be kept on ice.

For me, as yet undiagnosed, my sats are ok now on 02 and c-pap--but the daily headaches are certainly not going away--nor is the tiredness-yet I'm sleeping better.

I'm finding that I am waking with a lot of gunk in my lungs and feeling very congested every morning. I'm sure with me it's because I fight to breathe out due to asthma.

I am on a bipap without a sleep study. My pulmonoligist ordered it after watching my breathing tests in his office decline and seeing my O2 level low during a regular visit.

I now use O2 with the bipap and the respitory therapist alerts the doctor when she notices a need for a pressure change. She evaluates this thru an overnight oxometer reading done right here at home. This is done every 30-60 days depending on what the doctor orders.

I notice a lot of gunk in my throat with the bipap when it first starts but not enough to keep me awake!

Good luck.

Mine are 10 EPAP 20 IPAP with FVC of 44% and on Bipap since Jan 05. FVC was 86 when I got Bipap.

AL.

Without a sleep study you can get a bipap when FVC is 50% or below according to medicare criteria.

-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back