Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Eastern Shore
Until recently I've been hoisted onto the shower chair by Phil, who then removes the sling. He has no trouble putting it back after towel drying me.

The hospice aides aren't used to using lifts here within the only hospice--most patients are ambulatory with cancer, and get bedbaths when they no longer walk. So, Phil taught my aide how to get me into the sling and hoisted, and how to replace the sling after the shower, etc. She didn't have me centered today and without trunk strength, each attempt to help caused me to slide forward, until I called Phil to come. He finished the job.

So, anyone with experience, do you stay in those mesh slings for your shower? If that's the answer, we need to get one.

Women who are caregivers, can you replace the sling after your PALS is showered?

Thanks!
Ann

I think I will find some answers as my lift is being deliverd today or tommorow. I just hope it can pick me up and put me in my brown leather recliner that I have not sat in for more than 6 months. Would be cool to sit there Sat. night to watch the Nascar Sprint Allstar Race in Charlote. That is where Beach Bum is going with his freind. Im jelous

Hi,
I use the mesh sling on my husband when showering or giving him a bath. he has no control over his body. The sling provide extra safety in the tub, I would hate to have him slip under and be all soapy and slippery and not be able to get him upright. We have a wet room for showering. When a shower chair became downright scary I checked into recliening shower chair, very, very expensive. Found an lawn chair(the kind that is 3 sections to lay down on, it klicks to many different angles ) it works great. We laugh that all I would need is palm fronds to wave and he would be king.

You should be able to get into the recliner with a hoyer lift, we do. You will need to
raise your chair up on boards so the wheels will fit under it. Before doing this figure out
where the base of the hoyer needs to be to center you on the chair, don't put the boards in the way, or you will sit crooked all day. I also sugest that the caregive practice
with some one your size to get the routine down. We have a Berkline two section couch with elec controls that he just loves. Each section is extra wide so he is not sitting on a crack in the couch, I can snuggle up right nest to him. We use pillows for arm rest. i use the hoyer to put him on the couch. I removed the controls from the side of the couch and rerouted the wire and cliped it where he could reach it. He no longer moveshis fingers but the control on top of the arm rest is much easier for me to reach. Penny

Thanks, Penny--that's very interesting, and you sound very skilled!

Hi Ann,
firstly I'm sorry to hear your new caregivers are inexperienced with lift and sling. I use a bathing/shower sling as our standard sling as it suits mums shape and abilities well. As you know we do bed baths here as we don't have a ground floor shower. However I do sometimes give her a wash sitting in a commode/shower chair. When I do this I take the sling off for the wash & put it back on again when she's dry & partially dressed. I do need to take care when leaning her forward to get the sling under her. I usually have one hand organising the sling, the other preventing her slipping forwards or if I need both hands then I put the rest of my body in front of her..if you can picture it at all!

The bathing sling takes some time to dry-a few hours. Any chance your new caregivers can learn how to centre your sling? They would need to do that with a bathing sling also. If it's not centred the person will land on the seat like the leaning tower of Pisa-uncomfortable & scary.

Hope someone with shower sling & shower chimes in...

All that said, sounds like your carers need to learn how to centre your sling. When teaching carers on mum I've

Ps the seat we use has detachable sides & back. Need both to keep her safe

However I do sometimes give her a wash sitting in a commode/shower chair. When I do this I take the sling off for the wash & put it back on again when she's dry & partially dressed. I do need to take care when leaning her forward to get the sling under her. I usually have one hand organising the sling, the other preventing her slipping forwards or if I need both hands then I put the rest of my body in front of her..if you can picture it at all!

The bathing sling takes some time to dry-a few hours. Any chance your new caregivers can learn how to centre your sling? They would need to do that with a bathing sling also. If it's not centred the person will land on the seat like the leaning tower of Pisa-uncomfortable & scary.

Hope someone with shower sling & shower chimes in...

All that said, sounds like your carers need to learn how to centre your sling.

Avril, you have described exactly what Phil does... and it also came to mind that before last week, my aide was successful for two weeks. The centering of the sling is of prime importance, and also I find it very interesting that you do block your mother with your body in front. My aide isn't all that tall but is much bigger than I--maybe she can block me while tucking in the back, as you do for "Mum". I think we'll try this again without buying yet another sling. Her centering me is the key...I have a lot of experience in not being centered!;)
Thanks so much.

Ann, i just posted about this in the Tea thread...
If you do get a shower/mesh sling, you will have to be put back into bed and have the wet sling removed and a dry one to replace it. this, of course, if your aides cannot figure out how to remove and replace while youre in the chair. you dont want to sit on a wet sling all day.

Liz, an excellent point! I knew you all would have insight. I really like my aide, who wants very much to learn how to take care of me (not that there's anyone in the wings waiting with experience), and when I told her Phil was just next door and would get it straightened out, she said, "Oh no, you've called the Principal on me." Then she and I had to convince Phil we were having fun... This woman's going to become the Go-To person for hoyers at hospice.

In my power chair I insist on being in a tilt when the women take care of the slings. Enough of a tilt (and even putting the chair's arms back in place), it's very safe.

Message being moderated...Thank you, Liz--I appreciate your help a lot. :)

No problem sweety. anytime

Liz, that's a really good point about wet slings. And Ann I am shorter & lighter than mum so your aide should be able to give it a go.

I don't change Mom's sling and I leave her in it when we shower. I shower her on the toilet and it does get pretty wet. When I lift her to her chair I blow dry her from underneath after blotting her and the sling with a towel. I put a towel behind her back for awhile until it is dry. I could not do the whole changing of the sling thing. I try to keep it simple.

Thanks Laura,

Hospice has decided to send two aides out. They've been behind the scenes with this, while Phil gave the RN a refresher course--and the new aide already understood what to do. I'll still shower without the sling in the shower chair, be toweled off and put in bed with a towel under my hair.

I appreciate your explanation. Hopefully this discussion helps someone else one day... and if Phil ever has trouble as I grow weaker, I will show this to him.

You know Ann, I've been meaning to say how delighted I am that hospice are sending two out to you. No matter how I've managed to navigate solo, two people is definitely easier, safer, quicker and more comfortable for both pals & cals. Just so glad they seem to have hit the right shower note!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back