Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
“The first step will be an Assessment Officer coming to your home to watch you take a shower”
Say what?!
Did you just utter the words I think I heard you utter or did I imagine you uttering something that was not your utterance at all?

Such a moment has much in common with a near-death experience. Time decelerates. An other-worldliness descends. A thousand crystal-clear words pass through one’s mind in the time it takes the other person to say three. But the other person’s words are lost. Their lips are moving, oh so slowly, but the noise is all white.

Sorry, what was that?
“Yes, an assessment. Don’t worry; all our staff are very well trained”.
As if training were somehow a blind for the supreme immodesty of being observed whilst showering.
“Just hop behind my diploma and take of your clothes please”.

Until a fortnight ago I had scarcely noticed the nineteenth word in this phrase: “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?” (Romans 8:35). Abruptly this passage became my daily meditation, a mantra perhaps, as the dreadful day of unveiling drew near!

(If, by the way the way, you are reading this and actually know me, or – worse – happen to be related to me, or – unthinkably! – you are one of my children; then you may prefer something else to read at this point. There, you have been warned!)

Showering, as it turns out, is actually the pinnacle of human physical prowess. Harder than playing a musical instrument, which I can still do; harder than catching as many as seven busses in a wheelchair to get to the office, or the hydrotherapy pool, which I can do excellently! So difficult, in fact, that I marvel it has not become an Olympic event. Showering I cannot do.

The Designated Day of Disrobing finally arrived; dawning in welcome relief to a sleepless night. The Assessment Officer, a she-assessment-officer as it happened, came with a clipboard no less! I am currently applying under the Freedom of Information Act to gain access to the contents of the clipboard, as I must know what there was about my exhibited physique that she found so noteworthy.

And so, beginning with the visit from the District Nurse, a Routine of Revelation has now commenced: every day or two a pair of nursing eyes – highly trained no doubt – come to Paradise and behold all. Thankfully I am finding that the New Testament’s words hold true. True in that the more things change, they more they stay fundamentally the same. True in that when the worst of all things comes along there is little to fear after all. Is it embarrassing to undress for a complete stranger? Yes it is. Is it worse still to be undressed by that stranger? Far worse. Does it matter? Not in the least. In fact the paradigm “less is more” rings true.
No, not less clothing!
Less apprehension – more trust.
Less self-consciousness – more acceptance.
Less pretension – more ‘stark’ reality.
Less pride – more acceptance of the fact that I am, after all, just me.
Plain old naked me, needing help in the shower.​

Many years ago the shoe was ‘off’ the other foot when I worked as a volunteer with Sydney City Mission. It was often my job to supervise the showering of intoxicated, derelict men that the vans picked up nightly from wintry, inner-city streets. I can’t help wondering: did I, as a twenty year old drenching old men with liters of ghastly de-lousing tonic, show any of the kindness and tact that I now receive? I have no way of knowing. I am almost … almost … glad to have discovered by experience something quite wonderful: we are a community that can comfortably and competently care for one another’s intimate needs. How good it is be one amongst many.

Our ensuite bathroom is no Garden of Eden. There’s not so much as a potted fern in there, let alone Devil’s Ivy. Nonetheless, in its confines I feel no shame. Well, not much.

Roderick, you do have a way with words and also an amazing, accepting attitude! I have to admit that I was temporarily sidetracked and fascinated by the weaver ants, but tore myself away to get back to the business of reading about your unveiling.

Oh my you do tell an interesting story...lol

Roderick my friend you always have a way of painting a picture with words enabling us to not just see the story but feel the emotions of the tale as well. I would like to answer the one question you posed, when you wondered if you showed kindness and decency to the men all those years ago while they were bathing. I feel safe to say that a man with a heart and spirit like yours knows no other way then to be kind and act as a Christian Gentlemen. Those men obviously had issues that ran deep into their soul but at that moment they were very lucky to have someone like you helping them and not just ignoring them with the blinders that society typically bares.

Thank You for sharing and enlightening us with your feelings and experiences!

Yes, you definitely can tell a story! Ever considered being a writer?

Anyone tells me they gotta watch me shower is going to be shown the door, LOL. I won't even let my daughter come in when I shower. WHY on earth do they need to see you shower?

Great story Roderick! I don't know about having someone watch me shower but I have certainly been there with my home care aide ladies helping me shower so I know how you feel. "What, we just met for the first time five minutes ago and you're going to wash my butt?". I'm to the point now that I'll get naked for just about anyone, just make sure the curtains are closed so I don't shock the Jehovas Witnesses when they come to the door!

Great story Roderick! I don't know about having someone watch me shower but I have certainly been there with my home care aide ladies helping me shower so I know how you feel. "What, we just met for the first time five minutes ago and you're going to wash my butt?". I'm to the point now that I'll get naked for just about anyone, just make sure the curtains are closed so I don't shock the Jehovas Witnesses when they come to the door!

Ha Ha, Barry! those home care ladies can be just a little innapropriate can't they? Had a new one today and the first thing she said was, "Oh, we've met before haven't we?" Most disconcerting.

Well;

I just hope that there is a "happy ending" in there someplace.

Well put! I too have had to get used to caregivers helping with toileting and showers these past few weeks. It's definitely an adjustment.

Had to laugh at a PALS who told me "the only thing that bothers me about being showered by my female aide is that my member is too short." My aide told me "all old guys are like that."

I told Kevin i was giving him permission to get naked with another woman, but i am sure this is not what he envisioned.....

Unbelievable! What has our world come to. No reason in the world to observe you bathing! Roderick. I can't get enough of your writing. You are gifted.
Linda

Unbelievable! What has our world come to. No reason in the world to observe you bathing! Roderick. I can't get enough of your writing. You are gifted.
Linda

Well now, a couple of readers have wondered why the whole observation thing happened; and I think it was OK really, because someone has to decide what level of assistance you require and if the environment is safe for both the carer and patient I guess. The woman who came was the epitomee (spelling?) of professionalism and tact. I dont think anyone could have made it easier.

That is exactly what I had been wondering, why the instrusion. Here the safety is assessed by looking at the medical info, then talking to the pals & whoever is living with them, if there is anyone. Your system is probably more exact but I like a less intrusive approach better....despite your obvious grace and graciousness throughout the experience.

You have to learn to check your digniy at the door and retain your sense of humor.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back