Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
indiana
City
perrysville
i dont know anyone who has had als but i have been diagnosed with it may 4th 2011 and now i take the only pill out there for it and all it does is prolong my life. i have to go every 2 weeks for the first month to make sure it doesnt effect my liver and then every 3 months after that. i am worried more for my husband and kids. i have weakness in both my hands and it keeps me from doing everyday things like cook, laundry and ect. i am ashamed that my 3 boys under the age 11 have to see this. scare. what comes next:sad:

I'm sorry you have been diagnosed with this mess. Please know you aren't alone. Every emotion, every thought, every fear we share with you. I'm 38 with 4 y/o twins, and it breaks my heart beyond measure. I share your feelings as a mother. There are wonderful, empathetic friends here for you. Lean on us...
Big Hugs

Hello

It's horrible for anyone to be diagnosed with this disease. Especially so, in my opinion, for those with young children. First, though--you didn't do this to yourself. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, hon.

Hopefully, you've been in contact with the ALSA. They are an organization that will give you a lot of helpful information. They also have support groups you can join.

At some point, there will be equipment you'll need to get. The ALSA will help you with that. If you haven't done so, apply for disability/medicare. That will help with paying for things you'll need. There is a 5 month waiting period--but at least the help will be there when/if you need it.

As horrid a thought as it is--you'll also want to think about medical directives (living wills) and discuss you wishes with those closest to you.

While it is a horrible diagnosis, there are people that live years with this disease. Do the things you enjoy now while you can do them. Enjoy each day with your family to the fullest.

One thing that you might want to consider doing is some voice recordings--messages in your own voice--while you can.

The ALS clinics are usually multi-disciplinary. They can help with everything from occupational issues to speech to physical therapy.

Ask a lot of questions. I recommend writing things down--or even recording your office visits.

You don't say who diagnosed you---are they sure of the diagnosis? The ALSA recommends a second opinion. A lot of things can mimic ALS.

Allow yourself to feel what you're feeling. It's perfectly normal.

Hugs and prayers are with you.

kmt,

So sorry to welcome you to the group no one wants to be apart of. Take some time to feel all those emotions and reactions, they are normal. You will eventually but quickly learn to live with a new "normal" and you'll be surprised at how the kids will adapt. Everyday is precious so live them to the fullest. Praying for you!

Sit back and take it in. When the questions come, and they will, we are here.

I sure can understand where you're coming from. I'm sorry you have to deal with this Dear. You have nothing to feel shame about. Please put that out of your mind. You haven't done anything to be ashamed of. I do understand your fear. Please stay close.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It takes it a while to sink in...I was just diagnosed in April of this year so I understand the shock that you are going through. I don't have kids, (I am turning 24 tomorrow), but I can imagine the heartache you feel. I feel the same way for my friends that are watching my body slowly detoriate and I know I have my own frustrations with not being able to do 'normal' things such as laundry, dishes, etc. Know that this community is supportive and they will answer any questions you have. Hear for you all the way....
Kell Bell.

I have a foundation: The ALS Guardian Angels Foundation. If we can do ANYTHING to help now or down the road, call me at 949-233-3045Check out our website at ALSGuardianAngels.com or ask about us on the forum.
Stu

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. You and your family are not alone. My husband is 44 and our kids are 10 and 6. It is tough. The people on this forum are absolutley phenomenal. We all support each other and answer questions to the best of our abilities.
Prayers for strength and peace.
Love and light
Meg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back