Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
mo
City
nixa
if there is a law in nature that x number of people must be diagnosed with als i am glad
it was me an not another young person with small children (that always brings a tear) my
wife of 55 years and i have been truely blessed. children grown and secure in their
careers. two good and rewarding careers, military and business. seeing and playing with
grandchildren as they grew up, youngest now 17. one great grand daughter and soon a
grandson. when diagnosed with als in 2/2010 we didnot go through the confusion, fear, anger or depression (i understand why some may). we immediately started learning about als and what needed to be done to ease into this transition. after reading the "banned book" and another titled "trinity diet" it was must important to to immediately start making the body as healthy as possible. proper diet and exercise
became numer one, regular meridian testing and specific diet supplements are my health paths. we continue to work two days a week in the business, exercise regulary,
socialize with family, friends, als support group, and als clinic. life is good

you are so inspiring, your thoughts and how you handeled the news came across in such away it is calming to read your post. thanks for sharing such a relaxing tread about a hard to hear news.

Dear Pearshoot,
I too think what you have to say is truly inspiring. When I see people here with young children, it breaks my heart too. I feel grateful that both of my kids are done with college and in secure jobs. I hope they each find someone to settle with while I'm still around, but if they don't it's not such a horrible thing. I'm grateful to have a wonderful supportive and helpful family around me. Thanks for reminding us to look for the positives.
Mary

I'm glad I didn't get around to having children, my diagnosis would likely have shattered everything in my wake. (Not to mention, my children would also be genetically susceptible to the toll that ALS takes on the body, since I carry the SOD1 mutation.)

As a mom, I am thankful that I had health during the early years with my son. He was a miracle, after 13 years of marriage and numerous fertility clinics, we were blessed with a healthy child. He is 15 now and I set my goals by his needs: one more year and he can drive so I want to drive at least one more year. After that, I aim to stay out of a wheelchair until he goes to college.

I haven't told many people that I have ALS, none of his friends know. I want to spare him the pity. So far, my disease is slow moving and not too apparent. No one lives forever, I just had a friend die of cancer at 40, she had 3 kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back