08/2010
Country
ZAR
State
Gauteng
City
Pretoria
Hi all

For the past month or so I have been checking my heart rate regularly, but especially when I felt tired. What I have found is that my heart rate is constantly over 100 rested. I have seen it go as high as 135 rested. Is this common with ALS or separate issue?

Are you hydrated? If you are dehydrated that can cause an elevated heart rate.

Hope you feel better with it soon.

A heart rate of over 100 while at rest is not normal, no. And, certainly not one of 135. There are so many things that can cause a rapid heart rate. Mine is chronically over 100 and I take meds to keep it lower.

Any health issues other than ALS?

One of the dangers with a disease like ALS is it's so horrific all on its own that treatable things can be attributed to it. How's your blood pressure? High? Low?

Some people have an elevated heart rate when their blood pressure is low.

It's normal for breathing and heart rates to go up when we eat, exercise or deal with stress--but at rest, a normal heart rate is between 60-100

What is your oxygen level. My pulse was always high when the oxygen level was less than 85%.

Thx for the replies.

If dehydration is a possible cause it just might be my problem. I am using water tablets get rid of the swelling in legs. My blood pressure is normal. I am also not aware aware of any other condition I might be suffering from. I think I need to skip the water tablets for a day or two and then monitor my pulse.

Thanks again for the replies.

Remember to take potassium religiously when taking your diuretic. Electrolytes get unbalanced when taking your water pills without replacing the potassium and electrolytes that are our of whack can elevate your heart rate.
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back