Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
ca
State
ontario
City
richmond hill
After being diagnosed i asked the doctor about an mri of the head and he replied they do it sometimes but did not for me.This makes me uncomfortable so i am going to my gp to get a referral.The question that he will ask is why do i need a mri of the head.
Can anyone answer that question?

You could explain something along the lines of severe headaches, double vision, or amnesia.

Otherwise I'm curious as to why you're asking for an MRI? Particularly after your diagnosis.

From what my Neuro said, having a brain MRI is just to make sure it's not something that just looks like ALS and may be something other than ALS.

She also said that with an ALS diagnosis the insurance company won't say no. I suppose it depends on your insurance.

i thought it was standard procedure to do a mri to rule out other causes during the diognostic period.
i would say it would be good to have one done just incase there could be a more treatable condition.
we had a member who's husbands neuro's insisted it was als but it turned out to be a spinal problem.
not saying your diognosis may be wrong but its always best to have these things checked just in case.

I had 5 MRI's for diagnosis. Recently had some numbness in my face so Dr. wanted another to see if I'm trying to stroke out. Told him no thanks, to #6, if I have a big ole stroke, what difference will it make in the grand scheme of things.

I had 5 MRI's for diagnosis. Recently had some numbness in my face so Dr. wanted another to see if I'm trying to stroke out. Told him no thanks, to #6, if I have a big ole stroke, what difference will it make in the grand scheme of things.

LOL! That was my death of choice but I guess God had other plans for me.:lol:

I am suprised that they diagnosed you without a brain MRI. Heck I had one done with contrast by a neurosurgeon and then my neurologist that diagnosed me did one with contrast. Since ALS diagnosis relies on eliminating other possibilities I would think it would be standard to do a brain as well as a spine MRI. Having said that I am not a Dr. nor an expert. None the less you should be getting a second opinion on your diagnosis regardless so request that Neuro to do an MRI as well.

I would have thought a brain MRI is an absolute MUST before the diagnosis. ALS diagnosis is all about ruling out every other cause. You can't do that without a brain MRI. You are correct to be pushing for it. I would never accept a diagnosis like that without one, no matter what the signs and symptoms I may have.

Have you asked your Dr to do one?

I have an appointment with the gp this week and will ask to get a second opinion on my diagnosed.Foremost i would like a brain mri and a proper lymes test.Although my muscle atrophy is classic starting from right arm spreading to my left my other symptoms are not so classic such as pain in ankles and knees,ringing in one ear and night sweats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back