Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Colorado Springs
So the time has come where I need help with my range of motion exercises for the shoulders. But I didn't see the MDA handbook was how long the caregiver should hold your arm straight up for each repetition. 20 seconds, one minute, etc.?

Thanks for the advice!

Brian

i usually hold for 5 seconds. but ten would probably be good too. it really depends on if you have pain or stiffness.
alot of folks think that they should stretch through or beyond the pain and stiffness. this isnt a good idea. you can injure yourself doing this.

I do mine for 5 seconds three reps and not past pain level. Twice daily

hi brian.
i lost my shoulder motion for some weeks a several years back when i had a severe episode of spasticity in my arms.
could not reach out or up at all,arms were more or less plastered to my side and shoulders seized up..........joint contractures.
the only way i could try to do anything like a motion exercise was to firmly hold my shoulder and try to rotate it so as not to cause any sudden trauma.
ever since then i have significant amount of shoulder joint pain.
due to this but also arm weakness i can not hold my arms up for more than a few seconds...........if this is the case with you then you need someone to do the exercises for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back